Did you know that the shuttle vehicles have the following features on board?
- USB charging points so you’ll never run out of charge on the journey
- Wi-Fi to keep you connected
- Fold down tables on the larger vehicle to help you work
- Toilets so you’re not caught short
The Wi-Fi on the shuttle vehicles has recently been upgraded. The new password is Kingsferry50.
Book a seat online at www.kent.ac.uk/campus-shuttle
We hope you are enjoying the changes to the Campus Shuttle. The changes were made based on results from the shuttle survey, completed by over 450 students and staff. Summary of the changes:
- passengers can now board the Campus Shuttle at Liberty Quays for travel to Pembroke campus and the Dockyard (Western Avenue)
- to allow for passenger boarding time without losing the hourly service, the shuttle now only stops once on the Canterbury campus, at Keynes bus stop
- the service no longer stops at Darwin bus stop
- the on-the-hour timetable continues with some changes to peak travel times to improve reliability
- change of route: Keynes- Liberty Quays- Dockyard (Western Avenue)- Pembroke- Dockyard (Western Avenue)- Liberty Quays- Keynes
- the new booking system allows you to book a seat on the day
- there are two new, larger Campus Shuttle vehicles (53 and 34 seaters) wrapped with a University of Kent design
There are other benefits of the service, the Campus Shuttle:
- is a free, regular service
- runs on weekdays and weekends
- has on-board Wi-Fi
- has on-board USB charging points
- new booking system is mobile-friendly
If you would like to provide feedback on the Campus Shuttle please contact TransportTeam@kent.ac.uk
The new booking system for the Campus Shuttle is now open. The booking system is known as My Mobile Tickets, a service provided on behalf of The Kings Ferry by Mobile Onboard Limited.
How to book a seat
- Select ‘Book or cancel a seat’ on the shuttle webpage from your desktop, tablet or mobile phone. www.kent.ac.uk/campus-shuttle
- Log in using your University of Kent details. The first time you register you will be asked to confirm your email and mobile number.
- Choose the direction of travel for your journey and press ‘Book’. Choose the date and time you wish to travel and press ‘Select’. Check your booking details and press ‘Get Ticket Now (Free)’.
- On your Tickets page, click ‘Show Ticket’ to access your ticket for boarding. If you have a smartphone you can scan the ticket on your phone on the device located on the shuttle vehicle. If you do not have a smartphone, you can download and print your ticket. Scan the printed ticket when your board the shuttle.
Need help with your ticket? Visit the Help Portal within the web app or email Mobile on Board at firstname.lastname@example.org
Benefits of the new booking system
- Ability to book or cancel a seat on the day of travel
- Designed to be mobile-friendly. Don’t forget to download a shortcut on your smartphone home screen
- Simple and easy to use
- Provides live data for better monitoring
To learn more about all the other changes to the shuttle including new vehicles, adjusted timetable, and changes to shuttle stops, see our Campus Shuttle changes story
Please follow @CampusShuttle on Twitter for service updates or view these on the University planning your journey web page. If you would like to give feedback about changes to the shuttle service, please email TransportTeam@kent.ac.uk
We hope you enjoy travelling on the service provided by the University of Kent and operated by The Kings Ferry.
Having listened to your suggestions from the recent Campus Shuttle survey, which over 450 staff and students completed, there will be some exciting changes to the service from January.
In response to your feedback:
- passengers will now be able to board the Campus Shuttle at Liberty Quays for travel to Pembroke campus and the Dockyard (Western Avenue)
- to allow for passenger boarding time without losing the hourly service, the shuttle will now only stop once on the Canterbury campus, at Keynes bus stop
- the service will no longer stop at Darwin bus stop
- the on-the-hour timetable will continue
- we are introducing two new, larger Campus Shuttle vehicles (49 and 34 seaters).
Medway student feedback was clear in wanting the new service from Liberty Quays to the Pembroke campus and the Historic Dockyard. To ensure we can keep an hourly service, the decision had to be made to remove one of the stops at Canterbury. The majority of you in the survey said you’d prefer to keep the Keynes bus stop, or had no clear preference.
Features of the new vehicles include Wi-Fi, USB charging points, more comfortable seats, a toilet and fold out tables on the larger vehicle. Both of the vehicles will be wrapped in a University of Kent design.
We’ll be publishing more information for the new improved service in the New Year.
The last day the shuttle will be running this term is Friday 14 December 2018. Thanks to everyone who has travelled with us. We hope you have enjoyed using the free service.
The shuttle will start running again from Monday 14 January 2018.
Thank you to everyone who completed the shuttle survey. Your feedback is very valuable and will help inform university senior managers to make decisions about the shuttle service.
We will provide a further update in January.
The University are making some changes to the Campus Shuttle service. We need your feedback to help us make these decisions.
If you are a user of the free shuttle service between Canterbury and Medway campuses, please select the link below to complete our survey. The results of the survey will be presented to the University’s senior managers so make sure you have your say.
Complete the Campus Shuttle survey
The survey should take around 5 minutes to complete. The deadline for the survey is 9 December 2018 (23.59).
Trial stop near Dockyard
We are working with The Kings Ferry to monitor the usage and effect of the new stop located on Western Avenue adjacent to the Historic Dockyard. Western Avenue (google maps) was chosen as the stop as this is a public bus stop which minimises delays to the timetable.
The Dockyard (Mast Pond area) and the two bus stops located on Dock Road were investigated as stop locations but were found unsuitable to operate an hourly service by The Kings Ferry. The extra distance required for all of these stops would add on a lot more time and would mean that the service could not operate within the hour. The stop within the Dockyard is also used as a coach stop which reduces space for the shuttle vehicles to turn around; this was of particular concern in relation to the larger coach and health and safety reasons.
We are currently awaiting information from The Kings Ferry of the actual timings of the route compared with the timetable. Once we have this information we will review if it is possible to allow passengers to board at Liberty Quays travelling towards Pembroke and the Dockyard. We have also approached Arriva regarding the actual 191 service route times.
You are now able to book on the current system until the end of term (14 December 2018).
The new booking system is still in the testing phase to ensure it works effectively and is easy to use.
Features of the new booking system will include a mobile app that communicates booking and boarding information in real-time to improve the customer experience.
We are expecting the second new coach to arrive the first week of November. This will be a 33 seater coach to replace the current 29 seater. The new coach will have Wi-Fi, USB charging points, more comfortable seats and a toilet on board.
Book a seat at www.kent.ac.uk/campus-shuttle
The Campus Shuttle will start running from Arrivals Weekend (weekend timetable). The updated timetable, including the new trial additional stop at the Dockyard is available to be viewed here.
The Campus Shuttle is a free service for University of Kent students and staff between the Canterbury and Medway campuses.
Booking is now available. Book a seat to guarantee your travel on the service. You can only book a seat until 14 October 2018 currently. We are hoping to transition to a new booking system after this date.
The new trial stop at the Dockyard will be located on Western Avenue. The service will continue to run on an hourly basis. The Transport Team and The Kings Ferry will be monitoring the effect and usage of this additional stop. This will be a term by term trial.
For more details and to book a seat, visit www.kent.ac.uk/campus-shuttle
Follow @CampusShuttle on twitter for service updates
We are pleased to announce that The Kings Ferry have won the tender for the Campus Shuttle and will continue to run the shuttle service for the next few years.
As a trial, the Campus Shuttle will run to and from the Dockyard. The service will continue to run on an hourly basis. The Transport Team and The Kings Ferry will be monitoring the effect and usage of this additional stop. This will be a term by term trial.
The Campus Shuttle is a free service for University of Kent students and staff between the Canterbury and Medway campuses. If you would like transportation between Liberty Quays and the Dockyard you can purchase a discounted ticket for the 191 Arriva bus .
As part of the new contract The Kings Ferry are providing two new larger vehicles, one 33 seater and one 49 seater. Features of the new vehicles include Wi-Fi, USB charging points, more comfortable seats, a toilet and fold out tables on the larger vehicle.
We will be providing more information shortly once more details are fully confirmed with The Kings Ferry. Please check our transport news webpage or the Campus Shuttle webpage.
The free Campus Shuttle service between Medway and Canterbury campuses runs term-time only.
Therefore the last day the shuttle will be running this term is Friday 15 June 2018.
Thank you for choosing to travel on the shuttle.
The next time the shuttle will be running is Saturday 15 September 2018 for the start of Arrivals Weekend.
For more information visit www.kent.ac.uk/campus-shuttle