CPCS press coverage in 2014
In December, Ellie Lee gave comment to The Times about a paper on the financial benefits of breastfeeding
November saw criticism of a proposal from the Behavioural Insights Team (the ‘Nudge’ Unit) for messages to be put in nappies about taking to babies. Ellie Lee commented in this article in the Independent This comment is by Glosswitch
The New York Times reported in November on the dangers of claims about brain science, with comments from CPCS’ Jan Macvarish, and Zoe Williams.
In October, the English Government’s Social Mobility and Child Poverty Commission published a report that proposed a national programme of parenting classes, claiming that four in ten parents are doing an inadequate job raising their children. These comments responded to the Report:
‘How fear of offending has trumped freedom of speech among today’s young people’. Jennie Bristow comments in The Conversation in the wake of Charlie Hebdo.
Ellie Lee, ‘Hey, teacher, leave those parents alone!’
Val Gillies, ‘Parenting is not the key to tackle inequality’
Earlier in 2014
- ‘Sexual predators and politically correct cowardice’, with comment from Ellie Lee.
- ‘Society: Don’t blame the mothers’, co-authored by Janet Golden
- ‘Let’s lay off the Baby Boomers’, by Jennie Bristow
- ‘Since when were babies ‘carbon legacies’?’, by Jennie Bristow
- ‘Criminalising pregnant women who drink is a ploy to restrict their freedom’, with comment from Ellie Lee.
- ‘How much independence should children have?’, by Frank Furedi
- ‘Growing up independent is illegal? Mom arrested in U.S. for letting nine-year-old daughter play alone in park’, with comment from Frank Furedi
- Jennie Bristow, ‘Whose Choice in Childbirth?’
- Frank Furedi, ‘‘Trojan Horse’ schools: built in Westminster’
- Katie Dow discussing her work on reproduction for Faculti Media
- Charlotte Faircloth, ‘Militant Lactivism?’ in Gender and Society blogs
- ‘Kirstie Allsop’s fertility views’. With comment from Ellie Lee
- ‘Breastfeeding wars: is breast really best’. In the Telegraph with comment from Joan Wolf
- ‘Would you ever sell your breast-milk online?’ With comment from Charlotte Faircloth in the Telegraph
- ‘The Cinderella Law: emotional correctness gone mad’, by Frank Furedi
- ‘Let’s make Paine’s Age of Reason a Reality’, book review by Frank Furedi making thought-provoking observations about generations.
- Zoe Williams in the Guardian, on neuroscience and parenting.
- Babies’ Brains and Intensive Parenting – comment piece by Dr Jan Macvarish on the Free Range Kids Blog.
- CPCS associate Dr Jan Macvarish on Sky News Sunrise, debating proposals to criminalise drinking in pregnancy.
- Frank Furedi, ‘What PIE and the NSPCC have in common;’
- Drinking whilst pregnant should not be criminalised, by Ellie Lee
- Analysis: Drinking in pregnancy – what do we know? By Jennie Bristow
- There are very good reasons a foetus cannot be a victim of crime. By Zoe Williams
- Babies, Brains and Bull**** This is footage of a discussion filmed at the Battle of Ideas Festival 2013. Speakers included Professor Val Gillies (co-investigator for the study ‘Brain Science and Early Intervention’ ) and the Chair and co-convenor of the discussion was CPCS’ Jan Macvarish
- The new sex education: colonising out children’s emotions, Also footage from the Battle of Ideas, a discussion Chaired by CPCS’ Ellie Lee.
- Breastfeeding – was there ever a Golden Age? BBC News On-Line essay with comment from CPCS’ Ellie Lee.
- Forced C-Sections and Stolen Babies By Jennie Bristow
- Charlotte Faircloth talks about her book Militant Lactivism?
- Jennie Bristow, on ‘Breastfeeding Bribes’
- Frank Furedi, ‘Making Suspicious Mind Mandatory’
- Frank Furedi, ‘Paedophile Hunting and ‘Sweetie’’
- Charlotte Faircloth, on the discussion about selling breastmilk: ‘Breastfeeding: marketing mother’s anxiety’ and Channel 4 News report
- ‘The murder of Bijan Ebrahimi: Demonising child abusers means inevitable violence’, by Frank Furedi
- Frank Furedi, In defence of privacy
- Kent Council’s Breastfeeding Claims Criticised’, with comment by Ellie Lee
- Jennie Bristow, ‘Sex Selection Abortions aren’t illegal, despite all the noise’
- Frank Furedi, ‘Grandma, a danger to your child’s health’
- ‘Social workers ‘to meddle in every family home’ in a bid to prevent accidents, with comment by Frank Furedi
- ‘The state interferes far too much in family life’, with comment by Helen Reece
- Helene Guldberg, ‘The Deterministic Myth of the Early Years’
- Ellie Lee, ‘Sex selection: what Britain’s abortion law really says’