Was It Good For You: Felicity Bourdillon reflects

Recent graduate from the School of Psychology and Music Award holder, soprano Felicity Bourdillon, President of the Music Society 2021-22,reflects on being involved in extra-curricular music as part of her experience at the University.

When I joined Kent, joining the Music Society, and getting involved with the music department was one of the best decisions I made.

Felicity (front row, middle) with the Chamber Choir performing in the Crypt of Canterbury Cathedral.

During my time at the university, I sang in multiple choirs and was able to experience many different opportunities by singing in a number of unique and historical venues; singing in Canterbury Cathedral is always such an amazing experience! The Colyer-Fergusson building is such a special place for many members of the  Music Department as it is where we came together for our rehearsals, concerts and where we share many student memories.

Minerva Voices, the upper voices chamber choir, singing at the University Carol Service in Canterbury Cathedral

During my time in the music department, I gained so much confidence not only as a musician but as an individual. I was able to develop so many skills and found my singing abilities to improve greatly over the years I was at Kent as a result of the opportunities within the Music Department. This is due to being surrounded by so many other young musicians and the amazing music department staff that always encourage and support you to challenge yourself musically.

Filming a Scholars’ Spotlight in Colyer-Fergusson Hall during the pandemic 

By being part of the music department and the Kent Music Society, I was able to meet so many lovely people; joining in first year as a fresher can be so daunting but the members of the music society were so welcoming. Meeting so many people who share the same passion and love for music making is such a lovely experience and working with them towards concerts is very rewarding. The music department is where I met many of my closest friends and to have all these shared music experiences, makes the friendships even stronger.

Felicity making her valedictory speech as the outgoing President of the Music Society at the Gala concert marking the end of Summer Music Week