Was It Good For You: Susannah Wharfe

Continuing the series profiling musical alumni of the University of Kent. This week, Susannah Wharfe.

—-

When were you at Kent ?

Lady Sings the Blues: Susannah Wharfe

I was at Kent from September 2008 – November 2009.

What subject did you study ?

I studied for a Masters in International Conflict Analysis.

What occupation are you now engaged in ?

Officially, as in my paid job, I work for a Social Mechanics Agency, called Kinship Networking.  We’re based in Shoreditch, London, and look at providing solutions for businesses using ‘socialness’.

Unofficially I have two other ‘jobs’ – helping run an up-and-coming theatre company called Pilotlight Theatre, as well as writing and recording my own music, and playing whenever I can.

(For note, I perform under my nickname, zanna wharfe)

If music is not your profession, do you participate in any musical experiences now ?

I’m still heavily involved in music, but mostly from a personal, solo perspective.  I’m currently writing my own material, as well as helping out with backing tracks and covers for various little projects.  I’ve also got a MySpace page. I’m heading into the recording studio soon to start recording my own stuff, which is ridiculously exciting and nerve-wracking at the same time!   Fingers crossed in time it might be my primary profession!

How were you involved in music whilst at Kent ?

I was an avid singer – singing with the Chamber Choir as well as regularly joining the team for the inaugural Jazz @ 5 sessions.

What did you gain from your University music experience, and has this helped you in any way since leaving Kent ?

Singing at Kent reinvigorated my love of it.  I’d not realised how much I’d missed having music in my life till I was thrown back into the deep end and got involved again.  It also reminded me how exhilarating it is to stand up in front of people and bare your soul, so to speak.

What was your most memorable musical experience at Kent ?

Singing at The Orange Street Music Club for our charity concert.

What would you say to current musical students at the University ?

Just enjoy it.  As they’ll drill home to you, there’s no official music department, and that’s what makes it so exciting, and friendly!  If, in the long term, it’s really want you want to do, then do it.   Just keep practicing, keep performing, but know your strengths.  There’s a fine balance between realism and the dream world – and you have to keep one foot in each at all times; a tough, but ultimately fulfilling thing to do.

—-

f you’re an alumnus and would like to be featured, get in touch via the Music Department website: we’d love to hear from you!