Was It Good For You: Keri Sherman.

Continuing the series profiling former musical students at the University of Kent. This week, Keri Sherman.

—————–

Keri Sherman
Laying down the Law: Keri Sherman

When were you at Kent ?  

Autumn 2003 – Spring 2006

What subject did you study ?

Law & Business Administration

What occupation are you now engaged in ?

I am currently a Barrister in The Bahamas.

If music is not your profession, do you participate in any musical experiences now ?

Yes, I rejoined the Bahamas National Youth Choir {a touring Choir and the official national choir of the Commonwealth of The Bahamas} in the Fall of 2008. In addition to performing with the Choir as a chorister and soloist, I have begun freelancing, as it were, as a classical soloist in New Providence. As a freelancer I have had the opportunity to sing for the past two years at the Lyford Cay International Golf Tournament.

How were you involved in music whilst at Kent ?

I received private voice lessons from Sophie Meikle, who is amongst other things a musical assistant at the University, from January of 2004 – 2005. At Sophie’s urging I joined the University Chorus in the fall of 2005 and took part in the Christmas concert at the Canterbury Cathedral. With the University Chorus Itackled singing in Hebrew for the first time when we performed Leonard Bernstein’s work, the Chichester Psalms in the spring of 2006.

What did you gain from your University music experience, and has this helped you in any way since leaving Kent ?  

My University music experience made me comfortable as a performer and gave me confidence in my ability as a soloist. And it goes without saying but I received invaluable training and advice from Sophie which has helped me to blossom a musician. 

What was your most memorable musical experience at Kent ?

I would say my first performance as a soloist at a student concert in Keynes I believe. I trembled like a leaf through most of the song “Caro Mio Ben”, but I got through it and it was an exhilarating experience!

—-

If you’re an alumnus and would like to be featured, get in touch via the Music Department website: we’d love to hear from you!