In profile: Lydia Cheng

First-year Law student, violinist, and Music Performance Scholar, Lydia Cheng, reflects on coming to the University.

Lydia_Cheng_webWhere do you come from?
Toronto, Canada

How did you first get into playing the violin?
I first started on the piano at the age of 5. About a year later, I joined a violin group class and I loved it and it’s been with me ever since.

What’s your musical background?
Apart from playing as a soloist, I love chamber music. The collaboration with other musicians and friends is a completely different type of performance and is something I enjoy doing as much as possible. Back home, I am a member of a piano trio – Radiance Trio – and we perform and compete together. Last year, we were national finalists of the Canadian Music Competition.

What made you choose Kent as a place to study?
The UK is well-known for its multitude of great schools and with cousins having studied here as well, it was always a dream for me to study in the UK. I’ve had a long-time interest in studying law and as direct entry law is not an option in North America, I knew England was the right place for me. When it came to choosing a school, I knew I wanted a place where I could continue with music. Kent’s Symphony Orchestra and String Sinfonia drew me in.

Lydia_Cheng02_webWhat music-making are you involved in?
I am currently playing in the Symphony Orchestra and String Sinfonia.

What have you enjoyed most about your first term?
I loved the Baroque Christmas Concert. It was my first concert in Colyer-Fergusson and was an exhilarating experience. The atmosphere was warm and festive and all our rehearsals coming up to the concert just fit together like the final piece of a puzzle. It is not often that I get to perform with harpsichord or with choir, so to have this performance opportunity in a such a beautiful hall was a wonderful way to start my musical journey through Kent.

WP_20151204_003
The String Sinfonia ahead of the Baroque Christmas concert in December
BaroqueChristmas_Dec2015
The String Sinfonia and Cecilian Choir: A Baroque Christmas