French Connection: exchange student Juliette reflects on her term in the Music Department

In the autumn term, we welcome new faces to extra-curricular music-making here at Kent, and this year that included exchange student and trumpet-player from France, Juliette Brouzeng-Lacoustille. We were delighted to be able to provide an instrument for her to use, thanks to the generous Barry Wright Legacy, which supports overseas students who want to get involved in music; here, Juliette reflects on her time.

When I moved to England, I didn’t think I’d be able to pursue my passion: music. But thanks to the university’s music department, I was able to do it.

I was able to join the university Concert Band and its weekly rehearsals because the department provided me with a trumpet. It was a very rewarding experience that allowed me to share my passion with other students at the university, to meet new people and to blossom in the extra-curricular environment.

I would like to thank Sophie Meikle and Dan Harding, as well as the members of the university’s music department, without whom the pursuit of my passion would not have been possible.

Concert Band, conducted by Ian Swatman, performing in Colyer-Fergusson Hall on the opening night of our Wild Musical Revelry Weekend