Was It Good For You: Sylvia Hinds.

A series profiling musical alumni of the University of Kent. This week, Sylvia Hinds.   

Sylvia Hinds
On song: Sylvia Hinds

—————-  

When were you at Kent ?     

2001-2003    

What subject did you study ?    

English and American Literature, BA Hons    

What occupation are you now engaged in ?    

I work for the University of Kent – in the Admissions Office    

If music is not your profession, do you participate in any musical experiences now ?    

I still sing in Canterbury – both for the University, and in a couple of local chamber choirs.    

How were you involved in music whilst at Kent ?    

I was a member of the Music Society. I sang in the Chamber Choir, and the University Chorus, and I took part in the 2003 Summer Opera.    

What did you gain from your University music experience, and has this helped you in any way since leaving Kent ?    

I transferred to Kent in my second year, and found meeting people quite hard as everyone already knew each other, and my friends were limited to those I met on my course. Once I joined the Music Society, I made a whole new group of friends. Musicians are generally sociable people, and joining the Society helped me find a place at university away from my classes. It also made me want to spend more time at university – I felt part of life on campus, which I hadn’t felt up to then. I went to the library between classes and rehearsals, so it probably helped my grades too.    

What was your most memorable musical experience at Kent ?    

Singing in the Summer Opera was fun, as was performing with the Chamber Choir.    

What would you say to current musical students at the University ?    

Join the Music Society! Joining a choir or orchestra on campus is a great way to let off steam, make friends, and make great music. Getting involved with the Music Committee looks great on your CV, and the social events are always fun, if a little crazy. Making music once you graduate isn’t always so easy, so cheap, or so much fun, so take advantage now. I also met my fiancée in the Chamber Choir, and we’re getting married in October, so if you’re single, the ‘Sue Wanless Dating Service’ is still going strong…

—-

If you’re a musical alumnus and would like to be featured, get in touch via the Music Department website: we’d love to hear from you!