Project Zero – The Gulbenkian have been on a mission to reduce all waste where possible from their café, theatre and cinema operations. Since the start of Project Zero, headed up by Sustainability Champion Daniel Parsons, they have:
• Removed all single use plastic bottles in the café, saving an estimated 50000 plastic bottles since August 2018
• Switched to reusable plastic pint and half pint cups which has significantly reduced their single use plastic cup buying
• Partnered with ‘Too Good To Go’ and sold 626 magic bags. These are bags of food that would be thrown away and instead offer meals to customers at significantly reduced rates
• Sent all their milk bottle caps to a company that reuse the plastic, that’s about 300 caps a week
• Hosted a family day on climate change with thoughts, ideas and pledges shared on the ‘SustainabiliTree.’
The Sustainability Team at the Gulbenkian will be continuing Project Zero into the next academic year and will continue their focus on waste as well as looking at carbon.