What is the award for?
The Graduate and Researcher College (GRC) invites applications for funding from postgraduate students (of all levels across all of our locations) to run events or projects which have an interdisciplinary and/or external focus which will enhance the community experience of postgraduate students at Kent.
Successful applicants will be awarded up to £1500 to fund their project.
What is the criteria for entry?
Successful applicants will put forward:
- A clear commitment to build community across a number of academic divisions/disciplines.
- A broad interdisciplinary and/or external focus.
- A detailed breakdown of the planning, implementation and budgeting of the event/project.
- A new, innovative idea not currently in existence.
Proposals must also:
- Be planned to take place within the academic year in which the applicant has applied for it.
- Be based on the applicant’s main campus/centre, though external locations (up to 20 miles away) may be considered if vital to the project/event.
- Be consistent with Kent’s regulations on data protection.
We particularly welcome applications engaging with the themes of wellbeing, internationalisation, career or research career development, and equality, diversity and inclusivity.
How can I spend the money?
- Successful applicants will work on the project/event on a voluntary basis, with funding put towards materials/external assistance.
- The GRC will assist with room bookings and small purchases of materials, but all other activities must be managed by the awardee themselves.
- Applicants are encouraged to use Kent services such as Kent Hospitality and Design & Print Services in order to keep costs down.
Funding cannot be used for:
- Serving alcohol unless part of a fully justified reception or dinner.
- Supporting pre-existing projects.
- Donations to charities, groups, or individuals.
- Paying current students to participate or support a project/event. Small incentives may be possible, but the panel will favour voluntary support.
How to apply!
Once you have come up with a great idea to enhance the postgraduate community experience at Kent, you will need to think about how you want to make it happen. Discuss your idea with friends and colleagues, and make sure your supervisor is aware that you want to submit an application. You will need to provide a letter of support from your supervisor or School’s Director of Graduate Studies, so talk to them as well.
Opens Monday 3 October, closes Friday 11 November.