Close up of someone typing on laptop

Preferred name changes – transgender / non-binary students

The Central Student Administration Team are able to amend personal details on your student record.  

If you identify as transgender or non-binary we can: 

  • Add your preferred name  
  • Amend your Title (options include Mx) 
  • Amend your gender identity marker (Male, Female, Other, Prefer Not to Say) 
  • Change your legal name (if you have some form of legal documentation) 

Any communications with our team will be treated in strictest confidence, and your personal data will be held securely. 

By adding a preferred name to your record, we can issue a new student ID card (free of charge) and update how your name is displayed on registers and Teams.  

Please note a preferred name does not change the legal name on your record, your certificate will be printed in your legal name at the end of your studies.  

To make your request or for further guidance, please contact us: 

Canterbury Students: 

Medway Students:  

See additional support.