We are deeply saddened to hear about the devastating earthquakes in Turkey and Syria on Monday 6 February. Our thoughts remain with all our students, staff, alumni and those of you with family and friends affected by this disaster.
We have been in contact with our students and staff from Turkey and Syria and have taken immediate steps to support these individuals. The UK Government advice for anyone concerned about relatives or friends should call the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) on 020 7008 5000.
Ways you can help
Council for At Risk Academics (Cara) Emergency Earthquake Appeal for Syria Programme Colleagues and their Families
Several staff members at Kent work with Syrian academics through the Cara Syria Programme. Following the devastating earthquakes in Turkey and Syria last week, over 150 Cara Syria Programme participants and their families living in the worst-affected areas have been left homeless, several have lost family members and a number of colleagues are still unaccounted for.
The Cara Emergency Earthquake Appeal is raising hardship funds to help those who have been affected reach safer areas and more permanent shelters. Cara has been able to commit an initial sum for immediate distribution, with a view to providing at least 3 months support to Syrian colleagues and their families, many of whom include young children. The more we can raise, the greater assistance we can provide and for longer periods where needs persist.
Another way to support those affected is through the Disasters Emergency Commitee, with immediate priorities focussing on search and rescue, medical treatment for the injured, shelter for those who have lost their homes, heating in safe spaces, blankets, warm clothes, and ensuring people have food and clean water.
Support for students:
- Lunchtime drop-ins for those affected by Turkey-Syria earthquake. If you’d like a space to talk about how you’re feeling, Student Support and Wellbeing Advisers, College and Community Life Officers and Kent Union staff will be in here for you 13:00-14:00 on Wednesdays in the Locke building, Canterbury campus. Have a look at the events calendar to find out when the next drop-in session is taking place.
- If you’re based in Medway and want to talk to Student Support and Wellbeing staff, please call 01634 888474, or email MedwaySSW@kent.ac.uk.
- 24/7 support from Spectrum Life. If you or a friend need emergency support, Spectrum Life can offer online, text and telephone support from qualified counsellors and mental health professionals. Call 0800 0318227 and press option 1, or Text/WhatsApp ‘Hi’ to: +44(0)7418 360780
- Free 24/7 support from peers and trained professionals with Togetherall.
- Trying to stay positive when the news isn’t blog post from Student Support.
Support for staff:
- Our Employee Assistance Programme, offering support and counselling to staff
- Managing uncertainty and anxiety caused by world events article from Care First.
- Our Mental Health Support for staff