Gary Robinson portrait

Gary’s in the frame for a portrait award

Dr Gary Robinson, Senior Lecturer in Microbial Technology in the School of Biosciences, is in the frame for this year’s Scottish Portrait Awards.

Gary is the subject of a shortlisted portrait, by his artist brother Keith Robinson, for the Awards, which will be announced on Wednesday 17 November.

The portrait of Gary is titled ‘My brother the microbiologist and his microbiota’ and reflects Keith’s interest in the interface between science and art developed over many years with Gary and colleagues within the School of Biosciences. Keith has previously worked on various SciArt projects with Professor Darren Griffin (some of the resulting works are on show in the Senate Building) and Professor Mark Smales (works on display on the 4th floor of the Ingram Building).

Gary is relatively humble about being the focus of a major piece of art: ‘As far as I’m concerned, it was to support what my brother wanted to do and an extension of the many discussions we’ve had and continue to have about art and science. I applaud his skill as a portrait artist and I’m just proud and really pleased for him.’

Gary is hoping to join his brother, and see his portrait on display, at the awards ceremony at at the Scottish Arts Club, Edinburgh on the 17th. You can see Gary’s portrait and other shortlisted entries on the Scottish Portrait Awards website.