The University is creating a new online space for staff information, as our new staff intranet, delivered through SharePoint Online. It will be the go-to place for staff information and news.
Rather than one size fits all, you’ll be able to tailor the new intranet to what works best for you. Each Division and Department will have its own special space to share with its community, and staff will be able to choose much of the news they see depending on their interests.
Using SharePoint Online as the basis of our new intranet will ensure compatibility with all our other Microsoft 365 tools, including Teams, OneDrive and other apps.
What type of information will be on it?
- University-wide news
- University-wide resources
- Departmental and divisional news, resources, events and information
- Project information and document sharing
- Specialist topic areas such as Copyright and Finance
See how all the Staff Intranet will fit in with other Microsoft 365 tools
It will replace the Staff Guide on the University website, and current SharePoint sites such as the departmental, divisional and project sites housed in SharePoint 2013.
Why we’re changing things
Our new staff intranet will offer the following benefits:
- Simpler to find what you need – no need to search in numerous places online
- Single source of accurate information
- Easy to manage and update content through a simple interface
- Keeps audience-specific content separate e.g. staff and student information
- Let’s you tailor content that is relevant to you
Timeframe for introduction
Divisions already have access to a SharePoint Online Communications hub site, and are putting in content useful for their own division.
July – October 2021
- We’ll consult with your department / directorate to understand your needs and requirements for storing and sharing staff information. We’ll take this feedback into account when developing the service.
- We’ll pilot intranet sites with different business areas across the University.
- Professional service directorates’ needs will be gathered over this period.
November 2021 to 2022
There will be a phased approach to the creation of intranet sites across academic divisions and professional service directorates.
By September 2022
Existing SharePoint 2013 sites will become ‘read only’.
Work is expected to be completed by end 2022. SharePoint 2013 sites will need to close by then.
We’ll offer training and guidance to support you in creating your new intranet presence and choosing the most appropriate place to store your content. There will be no automated transferring of information from SharePoint 2013 to the new intranet.
You’ll need to plan in some time to review all your current staff-based content stored elsewhere eg SharePoint, Staff Guide, the Kent.ac.uk website. It will take time to review and scope your new intranet area.
It is suggested that you identify a lead person for this work. We’ll be in touch to identify with you the best way to proceed.
What should we call it?
The new intranet is a first for the University and a unique opportunity to celebrate our staff community and everything that makes it special to work at Kent.
We need a name for our new staff intranet and would welcome your suggestions. Head over to Yammer now and cast your vote on the options, or feel free to add your own!
There will be a new SharePoint Online site published soon with all the information you will need about the staff intranet and how you will be supported in this change.
For further information contact: Isobel Linthwaite, Collaboration Services Owner, through Teams or email.