Professor Karen Cox

Vice-Chancellor’s update – 1 April 2021

Dear colleagues, 

This week I want to pass on huge thanks to colleagues across the University for their enormous effort in submitting to the Research Excellence Framework 2021 on Monday. It’s amazing to see the incredible impact of our research brought together in one place, and I fully appreciate how much work goes into it – I encourage you all to read our DVC Research & Innovation Shane Weller’s blog with more detail on how far we’ve come since the last submission seven years ago. 

Related to this, it was great to see one of our research projects from the School of Psychology on BBC South East last night that really encapsulates the benefit our work has to the wider community. Those of you who have driven round Canterbury may have seen signs up at level crossing encouraging you to switch your engine off; this was part of some careful testing to see what could best prompt a change in behaviour, and has already led to changes being put in place by Canterbury City Council that will be part of ensuring better air quality for all. 

I also want to thank all of those both centrally and in Divisions who are working on today’s Undergraduate Open Day. This a fantastic opportunity to show people what we’re all about, and are a key moment in the recruitment calendar so I fully appreciate the effort that goes into them. While we look forward to holding these on campus again in future, the adaptability in bringing these online is an example of the kind of creative thinking we might want to keep from last year – if you haven’t already, then please do take a moment to fill out our Future of Work survey, which will help us work out how we all want to balance old and new as Government restrictions ease. 

Lastly, I hope everyone enjoys the long weekend and that those that can get to meet up with someone outdoors now that rules allow. I hope all of you can get a bit of a break over the next few days, and thank you once again for your continued hard work this term. 

With my best wishes to you and your families, 

Karen

Professor Karen Cox | Vice-Chancellor and President