First year Kent law student secures training contract offer from Magic Circle firm

Kent Law student Tyra Ntege has achieved extraordinary career success by securing an offer for a ‘Magic Circle’ Training Contract at the end of only her first year of studies.

Tyra was offered an interview with Clifford Chance – one of an elite group of five London law firms sharing a focus on corporate and finance work – after completing the firm’s five-day First Year Springboard Scheme over the summer vacation. The offer for a Training Contract followed soon after, in early August.

During the Scheme, which comprised three days in Clifford Chance’s London office and two days in the firm’s offices in Amsterdam, Tyra participated in classroom based activities and gained in-depth insights into key practice areas such as Tax, Pensions, Employments & Incentives, and Corporate Mergers and Acquisitions (Public). Other highlights included multiple opportunities to network with trainees, associates and Partners, a skills session on how to progress from ‘comfort zone’ to ‘stretch zone’ when working in the legal corporate environment and a boat cruise in Amsterdam.

Before making a final decision about Clifford Chance’s offer, Tyra plans to apply for vacation schemes with independent law firms in the UK and US: ‘I am 90% certain that I will start at Clifford Chance, but I want to be able to make the necessary contrasts and comparisons, for my future career trajectory a least. I have recently started a LawInSport mentoring scheme after being successfully chosen to be a mentee by CEO Sean Cotterell.’