By September 2017, there will be some changes to the Templeman Library’s layout, borrowing rules and more.
In the building
- The Library becomes one: the four blocks of the Library will join up, with full internal access.
- Four entrances give easy access: the Main Entrance and Library Road Entrance will open onto the new Welcome Hall. The Terrace Entrance and Grimond Entrance will stay open, and the old East Entrance will close.
- Key services move: the Welcome Desk will move to near the Main Entrance. The Loan Desk and IT and Library Support Desk will move together to Floor 1, C Block.
- Book moves: the Core Text Collection will merge with the Main Collection, and some subject areas will move for ease of access.
- Study zones: silent study zones will stay as they are. The rest of the Library will be for quiet or group study, with furniture and spaces to suit all styles.
- Find free study spaces: a new ‘Find a study space’ service will show onscreen where there are spaces around the Library.
- New teaching spaces: 6 new seminar rooms and 2 new digital classrooms in A Block, plus the Templeman Lecture Theatre.
- Takeaway cups allowed: you can bring any drink into the Library, as long as it’s in a secure container with a lid – this now includes takeaway cups. The Library Cafe will offer compostable takeaway cups. There will be liquid disposal bins around the Library.
- Borrowing: you’ll be able to borrow up to 40 items at once. Books will auto-renew, unless someone else reserves them, and you’ll only get a fine if someone reserves a book and you don’t return it on time.
- LibrarySearch will look slightly different with an improved interface.