Student on computer

Register to vote

The way we all register to vote has changed

You need to make sure that you’re on the updated register, or you might not be able to vote in future or get credit.

As a student you can register at both your term time address AND at the address you live at outside of term time.

You can now register online. Registration is simple and takes around two minutes – you’ll need your date of birth and National Insurance number to complete your application.

I think I’m already registered at my home address

You are entitled to be registered at home and your university address (if these are different). Whilst at university, we consider you part of our community and as such, we want you to have a democratic voice on issues that affect you.

Can I vote twice – at home and at university?

This depends on the type of election. At local elections you can vote in both areas if they are in different districts;

You can’t vote twice in:

• UK Parliamentary general election
  • European Parliamentary election

If you are unsure of your eligibility to vote in a particular election, please check with the Elections Office. Wherever you are on Election Day, you can have your say!

Your future credit rating

Most people don’t realise until it’s too late that if you aren’t registered to vote, it can affect your credit rating. You might not be able to secure a mortgage, loan or mobile phone contract. Some employers also check credit referencing.

I’m not British, can I vote?

Commonwealth and Republic of Ireland citizens are entitled to register and vote in all elections in the UK. Citizens of European Union states are entitled to register and vote in local and European elections.

Correspondence regarding electoral registration

The Council will send you an Invitation to Register form within the next few weeks or you may have already received it. When you receive this form you are legally obliged to reply. If you do not respond, you may receive a fine of £80.00.

I do not wish to register as I am already registered at home

You may, if you wish, decide to only register at your home address (if this is different from your term time address). If you do not want to register in respect of your University, term time address, it will assist us (and prevent us contacting you further) if you would please email, phone or write to us to say you do not wish to register in the district and give your name and address.

If you wish to register and do not want to return the paper form, you can complete an online application form.

More information about voting and electoral registration.