As the weather starts to get colder, please ensure you are familiar with the University’s ‘Pay during periods of severe weather conditions/ major transport disruption’ policy and procedure to understand what to do during adverse weather. Remember that weather can change at any time. Be prepared for this before you start your journey.
Ensure that you and your vehicle are prepared for driving in adverse weather conditions. Read some top tips to prepare for driving during the winter and don’t forget to plan your journey before you leave so you are aware of any disruptions.
Public transport, cycling and walking
- Plan your journey, check if there are problems on public transport or local roads
- Delay your journey, if possible, to allow temperatures to rise and ice or snow to melt
- Avoid footways in the shade. It takes longer for ice or snow to melt in the shade
- Always wear appropriate footwear and reflective/bright clothing
- Ensure that you have a torch or lights so motorists and others can see you when walking or cycling
Plan your journey and be prepared for times of adverse weather.