In celebration of International Women’s Day on 8 March, here are a range events taking place across our campuses to celebrate women and their achievements:
Friday 1 March
- Songs of Freedom workshop with Sabina Desirt & Jessica Lauren – A singing workshop utilising on a song about political activism – 17-18.00, The Gulbenkian.
- The Jazz Sessions: Jessica Lauren’s Naga 5 – Composer and jazz keys player Jessica Lauren with a 5 piece ensemble for a special concert exploring female empowerment – 19.30, The Gulbenkian.
- UKC Women’s Campaign present Pink Shirts – The Women’s Campaign are raising money for Coppafeel by selling pink t-shirts until 8 March. Get yours in Essentials!
- Gender Equality Survey – the survey is open to women until 8 March 2019.
- Get Talking – If you don’t have anything planned for your area how about following the footsteps of the HR department and promote famous and influential woman and get the conversation flowing? Contact Equality & Diversity for your information pack.
Wednesday 6 March
- Wear Pink – All staff and students are invited to wear pink for charity.
- ‘On Wednesday’s We Wear Pink’ – The Women’s Officer and the UniBoob Team present a IWD Vensday takeover at The Venue.
Thursday 7 March
- Self Identity and Empowerment Painting Workshop: Female-identifying only painting workshop (from 18.00, location TBC). Register your interest and find out more from Yvonne Ayeni.
Friday 8 March
- Uchenna Dance – The Head Wrap Diaries
- Self-Identity and Empowerment Exhibition (time and location TBC)
- Unravelling the mysteries of the menopause and the taboo! – Book via Staff Connect (search ‘menopause’) – 09.30-11.15, Rochester Board Room.
- Athena SWAN ‘Balance for Better’ – International Women’s Day at Kent Q&A from 12-14.00 in Grimond Lecture Theatre 3.
- Inspiring International Women: Shown and Tell – 13-14.00 in UELT Seminar Room – Register your interest.
- Funny Rabbit Comedy Club – An all-female line up of comedians for our regular comedy night. Featuring, Jayde Adams, Tanyalee Davis and Carrieann Redneck.
- A Quiz Night Out – Kent RaG have teamed up with K-Bar, Woody’s, Origins, Mungo’s and Cargo to host a campus-wide charity pub quiz on Friday 8 March to commemorate International Women’s Day!
Sunday 10 March
- This Girl Can Family Day – A day for all the family to celebrate women and girls and champion gender equality. Featuring clay-modelling workshops, films directed by and about girls/women, science workshops/demos, a disco and pop-up performances
- F-rated films
Thursday 14 March
- Kent Sport Q&A with Claudia Du Val, #1 ranked female MMA black belt. (More details to follow.)
In honour of International Women’s Day, Student Services, the Library and Kent Union have compiled a suggested reading list of titles that focus on female empowerment. Titles are classic and modern, fiction and non-fiction, sad and funny so there should be something there for everyone! Copies available of selected titles.