Macfarlanes First Years Skills Initiative
This programme is an excellent opportunity to develop the key skills and competencies that Macfarlanes assess throughout their vacation scheme application process as well as giving you the opportunity to experience working life and the culture at a commercial law firm. This is an exclusive opportunity, aimed at single honours law undergraduates at select universities.
During the first year skills development week, you will take part in: a negotiation exercise; a series of skills workshops; an application skills workshop and mock interviews; a group project and presentation; lunch with trainees, solicitors and partners; speed networking with all our practice areas; and work shadowing with a trainee.
The mock assessment interviews will allow you to gain an insight into the interviews undertaken on a vacation scheme assessment day and you will be provided with feedback on how you get on. The group project will enable you to develop your commercial awareness, research and presentation skills, whilst working collaboratively with others on the programme.
You will leave the programme with a thorough understanding of the skills needed to succeed in your application for a vacation scheme or training programme.
The timeline for applications is outlined below:
– January 2023 – The Law School selects top 10 high performing students from the applications received.
– February 2023 – Top 10 students attend an application hints and tips workshop with Macfarlanes.
– March 2023 – Submit your application for the skills development initiative to Macfarlanes.
– April/May 2023 – Go through the interview process with two successful students selected at the end.
– August 2023 – join us for a skills development week at our London office.
– October 2023 – if you submit a vacation scheme application that meets our selection requirements, you are guaranteed an assessment day.
Eligibility: You MUST be a first year Law LLB single honours Kent student
How to apply? You can apply by email but you must include each of the following (failure to include all of the below will result in a failed application)
- Any grades for individual pieces of work you may have received already for your degree, if applicable (please be aware that the firm are looking for applicants with good grades so we shall also be looking at the grades you get in the coursework that is being marked over the winter break).
- Details of any scholarship or funding you have received (whether this be for academic excellence or financial support). If you have none, please state this.
- Answer this question in no more than 250 words: “How do you hope to benefit from participation in this initiative”
- Confirm that you consent to your application with the above information being forwarded to Macfarlanes if you are shortlisted for selection.
- Please send your application via email@example.com
If you require further information or would like to apply, please contact Emma via: