Information for Students
The KLS Professional Mentoring Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Young Alumni Group with the aim of helping students to make career choices, understand the legal working world or to navigate the application process for both work and study.
This mentoring relationship runs from the summer until the end of the Spring term. A networking event also takes place annually in London or Canterbury. Many students have reported that their mentor has offered exceptional advice, introduced them to a wider network of professionals, assisted with applications and, in a few cases, offered / arranged work experience.
Benefits for Students
- Get valuable career support, advice and encouragement from an established professional
- Learn from the experiences of others
- Explore your chosen industry, sector or role
- Get job search, application and interview guidance
- Identify goals and establish a sense of direction
- Develop employability skills and grow in confidence
- Improve your communication and personal skills
- Establish and build connections
When will mentoring take place?
KLS Professional Mentoring takes place between September 2022 – March 2023 with students speaking with their mentors at least once per month (meetings can be virtual, by phone or in person).
If successful, you must be able to commit to a minimum of 6x conversations with your mentor during the 6 month programme.
Eligibility – who can apply
The programme is open to:
- Current stage 1 and stage 2 undergraduate students (who will be starting stage 2 and stage 3 respectively, in September 2022)
- Stage 3 students going on to do a Kent postgraduate course in September 2022
- Kent postgraduate students who will graduate after February 2023
Students from Kent Law School are eligible to apply.
How to apply
All participants will need to complete an online application which we will use for the matching process.
Mentors and mentees are matched as far as is possible by their expressed preferences and sectors of interest.