Laura Cunliffe-Hall

Graduate Profile: Communications Professional Laura Cunliffe-Hall

In this edition of our Alumni Spotlight series we meet Laura Cunliffe-Hall. A graduate of our former English and American Literature programme, Laura’s experiences at our Paris School have helped her forge a wonderful career in communications and public affairs. Discover how her time in Paris, and the art of the flaneur, was transformative for her in this recent interview.

Where are you from and what originally brought you to Paris?

I’m a Kent local, I grew up and went to school in Dover, before moving away to the Midlands/Warwickshire to do my undergrad at the University of Warwick.

I’d spent many good times in Canterbury and was impressed by the University of Kent’s reputation, particularly for student satisfaction – but it was the opportunity to study English and American Literature abroad for a term in Paris that made it the location of choice for my Master’s degree.

I’d studied French at A Level and loved it – plus being in Dover, it was closer to get to France than to London! I’d also always wanted to live in France and particularly in the beautiful city of Paris – therefore, the stars aligned when I found the English and American Literature PSAC course!

What attracted you most about studying at PSAC?

PSAC is a very special place – it was the opportunity of a lifetime to get to study there. The course provided an in-depth overview of Modernism in Paris – focusing on legendary authors such as Jean Rhys and Gertrude Stein, alongside examining the experience of cultural diaspora in France. We could also continue learning and improving on our written and spoken French through language classes. The teaching staff were incredibly helpful and experts in their field.

In addition to this, we could contextualise our studies through visiting the many incredible galleries and museums across Paris (often for free or at very cheap student rates) which brought what we were learning to life so much more vividly.

Moreover, Reid Hall is a stunning building with great facilities and a beautiful garden – ideally located. It was also exciting to be able to use it as a base and meet students from Columbia University and all over the world.

Study abroad in Paris

What were some of the highlights of your experience?

Spending my days in the Palais du Tokyo, Musee de Picasso, l’Orangerie and Musee d’Orsay to name but a few! I’ve never felt as culturally enriched as I have in my time in Paris – a truly unique city to learn from and understand the world around you.

Inspired by the idea of being a flaneur, I also have fond memories of experiencing the city on foot in all weathers – taking in the beautiful sights by the Seine. We had a fantastic tight-knit group of expats from all over the world that hung out together and always had some memorable outings to bars and clubs – spending my 22nd birthday partying at Point Ephémère and a few wild jazz nights in Montmartre are some slightly foggy but still treasured memories! Meeting some fantastic friends I have for life and living with my flatmate Rosa (now a Dr and Creative Writing lecturer at the University of Kent) in Barbès also helped shape what was an incredible life experience at PSAC.

What are you currently doing and how did that come about?

I’m currently working in communications and public affairs, specialising in the development of sustainable economic and social infrastructure as a Senior Account Manager at Copper Consultancy. I’ll be moving on to focus on policy and public affairs in Westminster later this year, in my new role as a Policy Manager at the Institution of Civil Engineers. Alongside this, I’m the Chair of the Young Fabians and the Social and Digital Media Lead for Labour in Communications, running a mentoring programme for people entering politics from disadvantaged or under-represented backgrounds called IMPACT.

Strong communications is essential in politics, and working closely with communities reminds me constantly of the power of using your voice and standing up for what you believe in. Being a Young Fabian is all about being able to share ideas and work together in an inclusive, non-factional and vibrant environment. I’d strongly recommend anyone interested in left-wing politics and policy to join us! As Chair, my focus is on empowering and supporting our members as we focus on our theme of the year – ‘What does a Labour Britain look like for young people’.

I’d always been fascinated by the interconnection between Literature and politics and wrote my dissertation on the performativity of Jacobean power in Shakespeare’s Measure for Measure and Coriolanus. Therefore, combining my love of politics and writing through public affairs, policy and communications was the natural next step.

A month after graduating, I applied for a temporary job as a Junior Account Executive at Copper – moved to London and started my post Paris chapter!

Top tip – I found my jobs through a very useful website called www.w4mpjobs.org

Do you think that your studies at PSAC helped with your career or creative endeavors?

Absolutely. Social and digital media are key aspects of my career – and acting as the Social Media Manager and Co-Organiser of our 2017 ‘Boundaries’ Conference in Paris was an important training experience from a communications and stakeholder management perspective.

Likewise meeting so many different people, each with a unique story, particularly in the aftermath of a Brexit vote that had been so divisive, was extremely helpful in reminding me why politics is so essential and gave me the confidence to use my voice and get involved.

Would you recommend PSAC to potential students and if so what would you tell them?

Always – PSAC was the time of my life and I miss it very much!

You’ll meet friends for life and expand your intellectual horizons in a stunning historically and culturally significant city (just stay away from the one euro wine you can buy opposite Rue Poulet!) So many fond memories of my time there – take a chance on Paris, you won’t regret it!

Merci beaucoup, Laura!

If you would like to get in touch with Laura, you can follow her on Twitter @LauraHall1995, connect with her on LinkedIn or check out our work at here.