The Freshfields Stephen Lawrence Scholarship Scheme is open to exceptionally talented students who are open to the idea of pursuing a career in the legal profession or a career in the City. Exceptionally talented means that you have the potential to succeed, it does not mean that you already need to have had exposure to the City.
Launched in 2013, the Freshfields Stephen Lawrence Scholarship Scheme was designed to address the disproportionate under-representation of black and black mixed-race men from less privileged background in large commercial law firms. In 2017 the scheme opened up applications to non-law students. The scheme’s ongoing work with Goldman Sachs, The Bank of England and Aon offers opportunities for other City careers.
Scholars will receive:
- Interview coaching and other development opportunities
- Commercial familiarisation (work experience/workshops) during university holidays
- An alternative route to interview for a training contract at Freshfields
- A £3,500 contribution towards course and associated study costs
Freshfields currently have two scholars on the scheme and two students who have completed the scheme. They have nominated over 20 students, of which a number have received work experience and ongoing mentoring.
To be eligible to apply for the scholarship you must be:
- Black African or black African-Caribbean or mixed-race black African or mixed race black African- Caribbean.
- In your 1st year of a 3 or 4 year undergraduate course
- Have not attended a fee paying school in UK
- Have not attended a school outside of the UK for which the fees are more than nominal.
You also need to satisfy one of the following criteria:
- Be in receipt of a maintenance loan from SFE above the relevant limit (student living with parents, £5,118, student not living with parents £6,469)
- Have been eligible for free school meals at a UK senior school
- Have attended a UK senior school with above average free school meals eligibility (we can check this for you)
To register your interest please contact Gemma Witts (Careers Adviser, Careers and Employability Service) G.Witts@kent.ac.uk to arrange an initial chat.
To watch short films about the scheme see https://www.freshfields.com/en-gb/about-us/responsible-business/freshfields_stephen_lawrence_scholarship/