Compass Lexecon are delighted to announce a 2-year Master’s Apprenticeship Programme with Queen Mary University of London launching in September 2022.
Research Analyst – Apprenticeship – Level 7 Senior Professional Economist Programme
We are one of the world’s leading economic consulting firms. We strive to recruit and develop talented people to work together to produce meaningful economic analysis of exceptional quality, and to create a positive impact on our clients and society.
Our European Competition Practice provides expert economic advice on competition policy, economic and financial regulation, public policy and the assessment of damages in complex disputes. We are looking to hire economists to help us to provide advice to our clients on some of the most high-profile cases before the European Commission, the General Court and national competition authorities, regulators and courts.
We believe that working in diverse teams, where everybody’s views are considered and respected, helps us to deliver work of the highest standards of quality and integrity.
We are looking to hire Research Analysts to join us as part of a 2-year Master’s Apprenticeship programme starting in September 2022.
You will have an opportunity to make a significant impact from day one and obtain a MSc in Economics from Queen Mary University. As a Research Analyst, you will become an integral part of a project team tasked with advising on the competitive impact of a merger or conduct. You will have a critical role in researching, analysing and interpreting the way that competition works in your client’s industry. Your analysis will form the fundamental basis of expert advice that will be given to clients, competition authorities and/or courts. You will work closely with your team to understand the issues that face the client, relating those issues to relevant economic theory, and supporting the analysis with rigorous and robust empirical evidence.
Research Analysts join us after completing their undergraduate degree in a quantitative subject. This would preferably be in economics, but we also welcome applications from graduates with have obtained or expect to obtain a degree in other quantitative subjects such as computer science, mathematics and statistics.
This is a two-year fixed-term position, ideal for candidates who are interested in post-graduate studies in economics, but would like to gain work experience and study at the same time. 20% of your time would be spent off-the-job undertaking classroom and distance learning.
This position is to start in September 2022 and is subject to individual eligibility for apprenticeship funding.
More details of the programme can be found here: The Senior Economist Programme – School of Economics and Finance (qmul.ac.uk).
- Analysing and interpreting significant amounts of client data in order to deeply understand how competition works in your client’s industry. This will involve, in particular, analysing customer data, price and cost data and competitor data / market shares
- Researching how firms compete with each other and identifying the most important variables that affect their decision making processes
- Identifying and summarising all the relevant facts to understand a client’s industry
- Taking responsibility for quality control and ensuring accuracy and error-free work product
- Drafting reports, interpreting and summarising analysis
- Undergraduate degree in economics ideally with a focus on microeconomics, industrial organisation and/or econometrics. We also consider graduates who have obtained or expect to obtain a degree in other quantitative subjects such as computer science, mathematics and statistics.
- Highly analytical
- Excellent organisational skills with an ability to multi-task
- Ability to communicate effectively with colleagues and clients
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Stata and Excel skills desirable
Benefits of working at Compass Lexecon:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- A wide variety of interesting and challenging projects
- An international team with a broad range of backgrounds and experience
- A blend of professional and academic environments
- The opportunity to work with top law firms, corporations, government bodies and academics
- A steep learning curve, coupled with a supportive and collaborative team
- The opportunity to contribute from day one