The Temporary Centre For Resistance
17 January – 31 March 2019
The Temporary Centre for Resistance (The Temp) is a two-month residency and collaboration between Precarious@KentUni and Studio Three Gallery. The Temp is a space of resistance within the body of the university, resistance through radical community building and by claiming a sense of individual ownership over the spaces we work in. The gallery is used for activism, art production, temporary exhibitions, a regular yoga and movement class, lectures, performances, film-screenings, reading groups, and workshops.
In addition to a daily Lunch at The Temp (where anyone is welcome to drop in, eat your lunch, chat to current members and maybe even take a cheeky nap) here is this week’s (18 – 24 February) programme for events at the Temporary Centre for Resistance:
- Mon 18th, 6-8: Precarious Film Club – Sorry to Bother You. Free entry, free popcorn, free laughter.
- Tue 19th, 7-9: PhilosophyTube at the Temp. Oliver Thorn founded his YouTube channel as an act of resistance. Join us as he shares his pearls of wisdom. Get your free ticket from Eventbrite.
- Wed 20th, 1-2: Yoga at the Temp run by @freedformyoga. Some mats will be provided. Pay what you can.
- Wed 20th, 4-6: Discourse, Power and Society Discussion Group. Ibtisam Boutemedjet of CCU opens this group presenting research on gender in Algerian EFL classroom interactions.
- Thur 21st, 6-7: Feldenkrais awareness through movement. Gentle movement class that relaxes, energises, and increases bodily awareness, run by Kristin Fredricksson. Pay what you can.
- Friday 22nd, 12-2: Playing to Lose. Come and join the second live action role-play workshop w/Adam James exploring empathy between opposed groups, inanimate objects and fictional beings.
- Friday 22nd, 5-8: Come and have a drink in the Temp to celebrate the first anniversary of the 2018 University strike. Let’s reflect on what role precarious staff and the support of students had in last year’s collective action, celebrate the great things that came out of the strike, as well as plan for the challenges ahead.