Phuong Le Film Critic

Graduate Profile: Film Professional & Critic Phuong Le

In the latest in our Alumni Spotlight series we connect with Phuong Le, an alumna of our Film Master’s Programme in Paris. Since graduating from our Paris School of Arts and Culture (PSAC), Phuong has been establishing herself in the film world, now working as the Editorial Coordinator for the streaming website MUBI and as a freelance film critic. Discover how Phuong chose to pursue her studies at our Paris School and how these influenced her career this interview.

Where are you from and what originally brought you to Paris? 

I’m originally from Vietnam, and I went to college in New York. Having graduated with a minor in French and a Film Studies concentration, I saw Paris as the perfect place to be. Not only can I practice the language in an organic way here, I can also enrich my knowledge of cinema history in the very country where the medium was born. The cultural wealth offered by the libraries, the archives, and the numerous cinemas is invaluable.

What attracted you most about studying at PSAC?   

Before coming to PSAC, I was already aware of the great scholars on the film studies faculty, and the opportunity to study and learn from them was absolutely unmissable. Paris is, of course, another incredible attraction. Having previously lived in New York and London, I prefer staying in metropolitan, diverse cities where I rarely feel like an outsider. The academic vigour of the programme and the irresistible charm of Paris proved to be the perfect fit for me.

What were some of the highlights of your experience? 

There were simply too many highlights to count! I will always remember my first time going to the BnF library, to which I had a specific subscription for researchers thanks to Kent. The rather Sci-Fi looking library was unlike any place I had been before. To descend into the research “dungeon,” I had to use several escalators, which took me deeper and deeper into the belly of this futuristic, metallic concrete structure. The feeling was pleasantly overwhelming, as if I was being literally locked in a cocoon of knowledge. Equally pleasurable were my many wanderings from one arthouse cinema to another in the 5th and the 6th arrondissement.

What are you currently doing and how did that opportunity come about? 

I’m currently the Editorial Coordinator for MUBI, a streaming website and distribution company for arthouse and classic films. I’m also a freelance critic, and I regularly write for The Guardian, Sight & Sound, and many other outlets. The job application process was pretty standard, and since film criticism is quite a tough business, I feel very fortunate to able to do what I love.

Do you think that your studies at PSAC helped with your career prospects? 

Absolutely. During my time at Kent, I developed an interest in psychogeography thanks to an engaging seminar on the subject with Professor Vybarr Cregan-Reid. Professor Frances Guerin’s course on Paris and cinema also furthered my fascination with how films represent urban lives. Now, I have a regular column at Sight & Sound where I discuss the relationship between films and geography. Such an opportunity would not have been possible without the many eye-opening seminars I was privileged to attend at Kent.

Would you recommend PSAC to potential students and if so what would you tell them? 

Moving to a new country can be daunting, but from my personal experiences, I would highly recommend everyone to take the leap. As one of the few programmes that allow students to develop their scholarly or creative portfolios in English while living in France, PSAC manages to ensure a degree of familiarity while at the same time widening your horizons.

Merci beaucoup Phuong!

Connect with Phuong here: