Graduate Profile: Writer Tom Baragwanath

In the latest edition of our Alumni Spotlight series we connect with writer Tom Baragwanath, an alumnus of our Master’s in Creative Writing in Paris. Originally from New Zealand, Tom has recently been shortlisted for the 2021 Michael Gifkins Prize for an unpublished manuscript, Paper Cage, which he commenced during his Master’s. Read more about how Tom’s experience in our programme helped him advance his craft in our interview with him below.

Where are you from and what originally brought you to Paris?

I’m originally from Masterton, a small town in the rural Wairarapa region of New Zealand. I moved to Paris with my wife around four years ago. I have some family here and in the UK, and Paris has always attracted me as a place to live. It’s been fantastic to discover it over the last few years – though there’s still so much more for me to find, even in my quartier.

What attracted you most about studying at PSAC?

I’ve dabbled in writing fiction for a while now, and I was looking for a way to bring some structure and rigour to what I was doing on my own. I looked into a bunch of online programmes and programmes in the UK and the US, but being based in Paris already, PSAC was a convenient choice. I was also excited to see the kinds of writers teaching at PSAC, and I wanted to see how their particular styles, experiences, and practices could inform mine.

What were some of the highlights of your experience?

The biggest highlight for me was forming a new group of friends with fellow students, and having the opportunity to benefit from our collective suggestions on in-progress work. I’ve been part of a few writer’s groups in the past (with mixed results, frankly), and it was fantastic to be part of an environment in which people take writing seriously, and where writers are encouraged to approach their craft with discipline and energy. Every single class was a chance to find new inspiration in what other students were working on, and that can be hard to find. The guidance and suggestions from our teachers were indispensable, and helped me to find some new ways to approach the themes and concerns I’ve been working out through my fiction.

What are you currently doing and how did that opportunity come about?

At the moment I’m working in marketing as a Senior Content Editor for an EdTech startup in Paris, developing my manuscript Paper Cage, and refining a set of short stories I’ve had on the boil for a few years now. The opportunity came about through some freelance marketing work I was doing during my master’s programme, and it’s been fantastic so far. Good marketing is all about beguiling the audience with urgent and enjoyable stories, so a master’s in creative writing is pretty handy.

Do you think that your studies at PSAC helped with your career prospects?

Definitely – although that wasn’t at the top of my list when I signed up. My background is in law and public policy in New Zealand, so studying fiction full-time for a year did seem at times like something of an indulgence for me, especially considering how dry some of my previous work has been by comparison. Besides being helpful from a career perspective, programmes like the creative writing masters at Kent are one of the few places people are encouraged to treat fiction seriously, and not just as a part-time lark.

Would you recommend PSAC to potential students and if so what would you tell them?

For sure. I’d recommend PSAC to anyone thinking about taking some time to study something personally enriching in a stimulating and challenging academic environment, with attentive and dedicated teachers. It doesn’t hurt that you also get to spend time in one of the world’s greatest cities, either.

Learn more about Tom and his writing on his website.

Merci beaucoup, Tom!