Dear University of Kent UCU members,
Please VOTE today! As well as the General Election though, please do vote in the UCU USS re-ballot (you don’t need to be in USS to vote).
You should have received a new ‘pension’ ballot
- Following our historic strike action over pay, workload, casualisation and equalities in the last few weeks, University of Kent UCU is reballoting members to defend our pensions in the USS Scheme. More info here.
- Anti-trade union law means we must reach 50% turnout to take action.
The pensions dispute is vital
- The employers originally wanted to end guaranteed pension benefits.
- They said your final pension should depend on how your ‘investments’ perform and not on your contributions.
- We defeated that proposal
- They now want you to pay more for your existing pension.
- The pensions ballot explicitly permits us to undertake a marking boycott as a part of action short of strike.
The pensions issue affects everyone
- Winning the pensions reballot will strengthen UCU’s hand
- Decent pensions are essential to the long term viability of the sector for staff and students.
You can make the difference
- Talk to your colleagues – Update your email auto-reply – Tweet @UoK_UCU
Vote YES to strike over pensions – Vote YES to action short of a strike