In-Choir within: Ruth Webster

Continuing our series introducing choral singers at the University. This week, second-year BioSciences student, Music Scholar and alto with Minerva Voices, the Cecilian Choir and University Chorus, Ruth Webster.

How did you get into choral singing ?
I always loved singing as a child and was part of various primary school choirs. When I was ten, I auditioned for the Derby Cathedral Girls’ Choir and began my 7-year career as a chorister there. The rest, as they say, is history!

Ruth Webster Chorister PicWhat’s your favourite piece ?
I’d be lying if I said I could pick just one favourite piece. My most favourite pieces involve anything Christmassy, especially Britten’s Ceremony of Carols and Handel’s Messiah. The final verse of Oh Little Town of Bethlehem gets me every time!

What’s your best/worst memory about singing in a choir ?
During my first ever performance of Handel’s Messiah as a little eleven-year-old I had a coughing fit in the middle of the ‘Hallelujah Chorus.’ My eyes were streaming throughout the whole piece and I remember seeing my mum in the audience holding back the giggles! My favourite choir memories involve the amazing travel opportunities I’ve been afforded and the incredible venues in which I’ve performed such as Notre Dame, St Paul’s Cathedral and Westminster Abbey.

What do you find the most inspirational aspect of choral singing ?
Along with the beautiful music and stunning venues, I love the sense of community and camaraderie you feel as part of a choir. Hours of rehearsals and a mutual love of choral music makes for a great sense of togetherness among singers. The more experienced members of the choir are able to take new singers under their wing and help them build on their skills while new members can look up to and learn from their peers. I’m looking forward to see how our new upper-voice choir, Minerva Voices, grows and develops as a team this year!

Ruth is on Twitter @himynameisruthy.