2016 Young People United Awards and Sankofa Young Black Achievers Awards

rosette
Rosette-Amanda Nsubuga receiving her awards from Bashiyra. Photo by Dave Thomas. 

Huge congratulations to second year BA (Hons) Fine Art student, Rosette-Amanda Nsubuga,  who has won the Young People United Awards under the category of Inspirational Young Person, as well as a Sankofa Young Black Achievers Award under the category of Citizenship.

Commented Carol Stewart, Chairperson, Medway African and Caribbean Association, “The nominations this year were of a very high standard.”

Rosette-Amanda said, “I was motivated to participate in the exhibition, as this gave me an opportunity to explore my culture and articulate my perceptions. I feel there should be more opportunities like these within the curriculum for students from minority ethnic groups. I felt a sense of freedom to do this because I knew I wouldn’t be judged”.  A synopsis of her work can be seen by accessing the clips below. https://vimeo.com/182216090?ref=em-share
https://m.soundcloud.com/user-330751277/melanin-intuition-pros-and-cons-sound-piece

Rosette was nominated by Dave Thomas, Student Success (EDI) Project Officer, for her contribution to the Black History Month Exhibition. Explained Dave, Rosette-Amanda was proactive in promoting diversity through citizenship through her contribution to the University of Kent Black History Month Art Exhibition.  She was part of a group of Fine Art Students from the School of Music and Fine Art who contributed artwork. Rosette demonstrated great volition and commitment by going over and above the initial brief and conducting ethnographic research, which explored student’s perception of the meaning of being black – Melanin Intuition. In addition, Rosette produced two paintings which consider the status of the black community from an adored perspective.

Her work disclosed love and ascension as well as the stigma that comes with having darker skin and takes us on an emotional journey, which explores race – black and blackness – and considers how the influence of the struggles of black leaders brings us to see what victory and freedom feels like.

The body of work aimed to promote cultural competence and a knowledge exchange among the students who study at the Medway Campus and wider University. The work also provoked discussion within the University community. Most importantly, it served to promote a sense of belonging for black and minority ethnic students on the campus. I believe this was a very important contribution to the development of the culture of equality and diversity within the university.  I would also like to mention the other three Fine Art students who contributed to the exhibition (Solomon Dada, Chenille Harris and alumni Daniel Owusu). Although Rosette won the award, I believe this was a victory for the group, school and University as a whole.”

To recognise the winners’ achievements, an award ceremony took place on Saturday 29th October, at Mid Kent College, Gillingham where Rosette was presented with her award by multiple award winning Singer/Songwriter Bashiyra.

For more info go to: www.macacharity.org.uk
Twitter: @MedwayACA
Facebook: MACA/Charity