Orchestral commission for MA music student Amy Morgan

amypic
Amy Morgan, 2016.

School of Music and Fine Art MA music student Amy Morgan will hear her new work, commissioned by the City of Rochester Symphony Orchestra, performed  in a concert on Saturday 28th May 2016 at The Central Theatre, Chatham at 7.30pm.  Her piece for the orchestra, called Stranger Things Have Happened shares a programme with works by Rimsky-Korsakov, Prokofiev and Tchaikovsky.

Says Amy: “The commission was facilitated by Duncan MacLeod, who is my Specialist Project supervisor. After getting the idea down on paper, or computer – and sometimes they are sung – I then put them onto music software programme Sibelius. The last stage takes the longest as I tweak the ideas to fit the mood of the composition. In Stranger Things Have Happened, I purposely make some parts dissonant and try to make use of a wide range of extended techniques. This is something new for me, as I normally stick within the boundaries of the instruments. The inspiration for this piece comes from retro game music (such as Super Mario), film music (particularly composer John Williams) and rock music.  The orchestra is really friendly and helpful, and it is even more exciting when I hear the orchestra playing the piece in rehearsals.  After my Masters, I hope to continue composing for a wide range of instruments.”

For tickets, go to: http://crso.org.uk/concerts/