The Voice finalist records at School of Music and Fine Art

Jamie Johnson, finalist of BBC’s The Voice is recording his pre-album demo ahead of his first studio album in Kent’s state of the art music facilities.Jamie Johnson School of Music and Fine Art

A member of pop icon Kylie Minogue’s team in the show, Jamie will record all six tracks which he performed during the series in the University’s professional recording studio, part of its School of Music and Fine Art based at the Historic Dockyard Chatham.

Returning to Medway after the show’s finale last Saturday (5 May), the 19 year old has selected the University’s facilities for its  flag ship studio  located  near to his hometown of Gillingham.

The Foundry recording studio, which is part of the University of Kent’s multi million pound dockyard facility produces high quality recordings and provides a platform for artists to produce professional standard work. Jamie will also be supported by two of the School’s studio technicians when he records the  tracks.

Phil Marsh, head of technical support said: ‘We’re delighted to be able to provide professional level studio time to one of the UK’s latest music artists. Jamie did incredibly well in The Voice and despite not winning the competition he knows that most of the singers who go on to succeed after the competition are the runners’ up. We hope that by providing  high class recording facilities we can help give his career the success he is looking for.’

‘Being local to Medway and having state-of-the art facilities of this calibre at the University of Kent is fantastic. I worked in a number of studios during rehearsals on The Voice and these are definitely on a par with the ones I used when I was singing alongside Kylie Minogue. I’m eager to record my debut album so people can continue to listen to my music now my journey as part of The Voice has come to an end’ says Jamie.

Jamie Johnson in Foundry Studio

Other artists and musicians can utilise the University’s School of Music and Fine Art recording facilities following the introduction of an independent record label based at the University.

The label will provide up and coming artists, particularly from the South East, the opportunity to use professional studio facilities in Kent to produce their work.