KBS Summer Newsletter 2016

Welcome to the second edition of our Kent Business School Newsletter. This quarter, along with sharing with you our latest news, features and views from our community, and contending with Brexit and Graduation, we’ve been taking a look at ideas surrounding Marketing and Consumer Behaviour.

Congratulations to the Class of 2016

It was inspiring to see so many graduates and their supporters come together with KBS Academics and Staff to celebrate the accomplishments of KBS students at our KBS Pre-Graduation Receptions. We wish our graduates a successful future whatever path they might choose. View the photographs.

Brexit: Director of School Professor Martin Meyer Responds

martin“At the University of Kent, we view ourselves as the UK’s European University. In recent weeks, many members of our community – students, staff, alumni, and external stakeholders – have been discussing the potential implications of Brexit. The question arose as to whether we, as the Business School of the UK’s European University, would continue our strategic focus on Europe. The answer is a resounding Yes! Ja! Oui! and Si!

For one, geographies have not changed – we are still located at the heart of Europe, based in the region linking the UK’s economic heartland to Europe’s political and cultural centres.  The countries of the European Union will remain our biggest trading partners. What has changed is that we are facing greater uncertainty about our future trading arrangements and the way we engage with ‘Europe’.

Our School has a track record of preparing its students for doing business in Europe, whether they are on our undergraduate or postgraduate programmes. With more than half of our academic staff from outside the UK, we are amongst the most diverse and internationally positioned schools in our area and can truly offer country expertise for most major economies in Europe and further afield. We believe this expertise will become even more relevant and are keen to work with our stakeholders to tackle uncertainties and make the most of the opportunities the future holds.”

News

kent awardsKBS Success at the Student Awards 2016 | KBS is proud to announce the success of two of our students in the Kent Student Awards 2016. These University-wide awards celebrate outstanding extracurricular student achievement and initiatives that benefit others. Read the full article.

SantanderSantander HQ Host Kent Student Entrepreneurs | Santander Universities hosted University of Kent students at their headquarters in central London. Students enjoyed a Financial Masterclass from Santander’s Regional Director for the South-East. Find out more.

ParkerNew KTP Success for Kent Business School | Using world-leading research and academic excellence the University’s Centre for Heuristics and Logistics Optimisation (CHLO) is delighted to have partnered with Parker Steel on a Knowledge Transfer Partnership project. Discover more about this project.

Survey on Fake Goods

As part of this quarter’s theme we asked our social media followers to participate in a survey on Marketing and Consumer Behaviour. They came back with some interesting results:

We asked our participants if they agreed with the following statements on branded vs. fake goods. The survey found that 61% of you thought that Branded products were overpriced, whilst only 21% of you said you’d be angry if you unknowingly bought a fake:

survey1

We asked our participants which of these products were not commonly counterfeited. The survey found that 75% of you thought that technology was not commonly counterfeited:

survey2

We asked our participants which of the following products they would most likely purchase fake? Interestingly the survey found that 0% of you would buy a fake iPhone but 68% would buy fake sunglasses:

survey3

Blog: Driving the Counterfeit Goods Market: Why Consumers Fake it

bags

In line with this quarter’s theme of Marketing and Consumer Behaviour KBS’ very own Senior Lecturer in Marketing, Dr Xuemei Bian, examines the economic phenomenon of counterfeiting and why consumers knowingly buy counterfeits. Read the full blog post.

Alumni Profile – Ozkan Gul

alumniWhy did you choose to study the Kent MBA?

After several years of experience in corporate banking, I realised the work was becoming routine and the sector was not evolving. As a very strict Generation Y employee, I was always thinking of ways to enhance work processes and this required evaluating the business from a new perspective. Completing an MBA was the perfect opportunity to develop myself and gain the necessary skills to allow me to return to the workplace with a fresh understanding.

What has your Kent MBA done for your career?

I have gained a very broad understanding from the Kent MBA which means my confidence has improved. Most importantly, I am now working in an industry I have always desired. Since graduating I have secured a position as Finance Executive for the second largest energy producer in my country, thanks to the knowledge I have gained from my Kent MBA.

Would you recommend the Kent MBA?

I have already recommended the Kent MBA to others and will continue to do so. It is fantastic how the programme creates a lifelong connection between students and the University. Kent taught to me to think dynamically, apply strategy and plan my career. Overall, I am delighted that I chose to study my MBA at Kent Business School.

Read more about the Kent MBA.

Construction Update

building

Building works on our new premises are progressing nicely! April saw the ‘Topping Out’ ceremony take place, an ancient ceremony to mark the building reaching its highest point. Since then the external cladding and windows have been installed, with work also being carried out internally; construction of partitions and flooring, the fixing of services and installation of electrical items. Occupation is expected to commence in February 2017. Read more.

Get in Touch

I hope you’ve enjoyed this newsletter, if you would like any further information about studying at Kent Business School, or our postgraduate or MBA programmes, please contact me directly at KBSadmissions@kent.ac.uk.
Charlotte Lynsdale

Graduate Admissions Manager