The Outreach & Widening Participation (OWP) team and Academic Divisions are looking to employ postgraduate
students (normally undertaking a PhD) to develop our outreach curriculum for schools, colleges and community settings in Kent and Medway,
Uncovering Histories Project Brief
The Outreach and Widening Participation (OWP) team are looking for a Development Postgraduate Ambassador to lead on the development and delivery of Uncovering Histories.
Uncovering Histories was developed as a programme for Year 10 students at one of the OWP’s partner schools, Chatham Grammar School. The students took part in a series of sessions exploring Black British history. From this pilot project in the last academic year, we are keen to redevelop the
programme to offer it to other schools over the next year.
The aims of the project for students are:
• To ‘learn like a university student’, taking part in cross-curricular workshops and get a sense of what it might be like to study at university
• To engage in topics that may not be on their school curriculum
• To see diversity in British history and culture, and support ongoing EDI interventions in the school
• To meet a community of Black university students to help improve a sense of belonging to the Black community and in an HE setting
• To develop critical thinking, project planning, presenting, and communication skills
• To increase their confidence through working with university students on project development
We have a framework and plans for sessions, but there is the opportunity to review these and develop them in new ways, and include other areas of interest on the topic of Black British culture.
We are looking for a Development Postgraduate Ambassador to:
• Develop a programme of interactive and engaging sessions exploring Black British culture
• Liaise with OWP partner schools to find 2-3 partners to run the programme for their Year 10 students before the end of the academic year
• Develop an evaluation framework to learn more about the impact of the programme
• Create, develop and prepare the resources to accompany the programme
• To deliver sessions in schools where necessary
• To assist colleagues with the delivery of activities
• To coordinate the review and update of existing curriculum materials
Please see the Development Postgraduate Ambassador job description below for more details on the
This role will be working with the Outreach and Widening Participation team, and will be for an initial 25 hours development between January and May 2023, plus the chance to deliver the project in schools when booked. There may be opportunities to take on more hours of development work in
the future. The role will be paid at a rate of £20.65 per hour.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with details expressing your suitability for, and interest in the Development PG Ambassador role (up to 400 words) and attaching an up-to-date CV.
The deadline is Wednesday 04 January. Unfortunately, we are unable to consider any applications that arrive after this date.
Please note, the Outreach and Widening Participation Office is closed 21 December 2022 – Monday 02 January 2023, and the team will not be able to respond to any enquiries over this time