This is the blog of the Special Collections & Archives team at the University of Kent.
We hold a wide variety of collections on diverse subjects, from theatre to evolution and Parliamentary papers to windmill photographs. We’re also the home of the British Cartoon Archive and the British Stand-Up Comedy Archive. This blog will keep you updated about the Collections, our new additions and the cataloguing work that gives you access to these materials. We hope that this will also provide you with an insight into our work and the discoveries we make as we wade through the dust and rusted paperclips to bring rare and archival material out into the light of (light protected and climate controlled) day.
Please feel free to comment on our posts and to explore the site. Please note that requests for access or appointments should be sent to email@example.com. We are located on the 1st floor of the Templeman Library (A block) on the Canterbury campus. Contact details can be found at http://www.kent.ac.uk/library/specialcollections/contact-us.html.
Blog header – images (Left – Right)
- Colour transparency of a tower mill conversion at St Martin’s Mill, Canterbury, Kent. Photograph taken by Donald William Muggeridge, 13/06/1966. Ref no: UKC-MIL-MUG-SLI.F183674, Muggeridge Collection, Special Collections & Archives
- “Come to your senses – don’t vote for Corbyn!” by Ben Jennings. Published in The Guardian, 31/08/2015. Ref no: BJD0263, British Cartoon Archive
- Title page for The Canterbury Tales from The Complete Works of Geoffrey Chaucer, 1598. Ref no: Q C 598 CHA, Pre-1700s collection
- Poster for CAST New Variety Pantomime, 1985. Ref no: BSUCA/LS/3/1, Linda Smith Collection, British Stand-Up Comedy Archive
- Poster advertising the pantomime Cinderella, produced by Walter and Frederick Melville and performed at the Lyceum Theatre, 1931. Ref no: MEL 106.B Spec Coll, Melville Collection, Special Collections & Archives