New Soviet Era
- Professor Richard Sakwa has been awarded the status of Emeritus Professor. His colleagues pay tribute to him on his retirement.
Shaking Things Up
- Professor Matthew Goodwin has been appointed a Social Mobility Commissioner by the UK Government where he hopes to bring about real change. Read his recent piece about the next Prime Minister in The Spectator that begins ‘The wheels are coming off the Conservative party’ here.
- From the cobbles of Flanders, to the shores of the Black Sea; via rock hewn tunnels, bald mountain tops Dr Nadine Ansorg has spent her summer break on this rigorous bike ride across Europe. Read about her triumph here.
“Everything always works out”
- Recent graduate Jada Spence found a place to study with us through clearing. Read her story here.
- In Dr Paolo Dardanelli‘s latest study he develops a metric for assessing how far power is decentralised across different scales. Read here.
- Bizuneh Getachew Yimenu joins Al Jazeera to discuss the famine in Tigray. Watch here.
- Following recent Israel-Gaza conflict, Dr Yaniv Voller comments on the background of this round of violence and Hamas’s role in limiting its severity. Read more.
Red Pill or Blue Pill?
- Enter the Institute of Cyber Security for Society‘s photo competition all about society’s increasing reliance on technology and the infrastructures that lay hidden beneath the surface. The myriad miles of fibreoptic cables, the banks of servers, the lofty data centres, and the ever-encircling satellites, are forever making sure that we can scroll on TikTok at 4am. Enter the competition by September 30th!
Keep up to date with the latest news from the School of Politics and International Relations