Good news: Law Student secures $20,000 award

Angelica Wales, a final year LLB Law Student shares her incredible story of how she won an outstanding Legal Education Awards.

“I am a Bermudian and I recently finished my final year law exams at the University of Kent.

This year, I became one of the recipients of the 2022 Conyers (Bermuda) Legal Education Awards. I have been chosen to receive a legal award valued at $20,000.00 to support my legal studies during the 2022/2023 academic year.  After graduating from the University of Kent, I will be commencing studies at the University of Law in pursuit of the Legal Practice Course this fall where I will be using the award.

For background, Conyers is a leading international law firm with a broad client base including FTSE 100 and Fortune 500 companies, international finance houses and asset managers. The firm advises on Bermuda, British Virgin Islands and Cayman Islands laws, from offices in those jurisdictions and in the key financial centres of Hong Kong, London and Singapore.

Part of the application is to submit an academic letter of recommendation and several of my law professors such as Dr. Alan McKenna, Dr. Emma Topham, and Professor Amanda Perry-Kessaris had provided a letter for me to support my application. I am incredibly grateful for their time and support of my legal education. Without their help, I would not have been able to fund the LPC.

Similarly last year, I was awarded the 2021 Wakefield Quin (Bermuda) Limited’s Legal Scholarship Award to fund my final year at the University of Kent. Again, Dr. McKenna along with Dr. Ida Petretta, Margarita Prieto Acosta, and Ms. Veronica Shleina (who used to be a lecturer at the university) supported my application.

Wakefield Quin Limited (WQ) is a leading Bermuda law firm that has earned an international reputation for providing high calibre legal services. WQ is dedicated to providing clients with timely, sophisticated and solution-driven legal advice and is known for delivering personalized and efficient legal service, geared to working to agreed timetables and budgets. WQ achieves a high standard of professionalism by listening to client needs and understanding client requirements. It recognises the vital importance of establishing close and continuing business relationships with clients and throughout the firm’s history, has forged valuable networks with other legal professionals in the US, UK, Europe, and Asia.

I am very grateful to my Kent Law School professors who helped me secure legal education awards over the past two years! There are not enough words to describe how thankful and happy I am!!”