Two Inner Temple Scholarship Awards

Dylan Thakker chats to us about how he secured not one, but two scholarships following his degree International Legal Studies (with a Year Abroad at The University of Hong Kong) LLB (Hons)

How did you find out about the Scholarship schemes?
During my first year at The University of Kent, I attended an Inner Temple insight event. A panel of four legal practitioners each discussed their experiences as well as the role that The Honourable Society of the Inner Temple plays as an Inn of Court.

At the time, having no knowledge of what an Inn of Court was or how one trains to become a qualified barrister, the insight event was extremely informative and inspiring. The scholarship scheme was highlighted as a significant opportunity offered by the Inn. I subsequently conducted further research on the scholarship schemes. In consideration of my research and assessment of personal strengths, I decided that Inner Temple was the Inn I wanted to apply at and join.

Can you tell us how this scholarship will help in your studies and/or career aspirations?
It is an honour to receive the Exhibition scholarship from Inner Temple. The scholarship will cover my enrolment in the Bar Practice Course, the vocational stage of my legal studies, at City University of London. This is a qualifying postgraduate degree which is taken prior to obtaining pupillage and qualifying as a barrister in England and Wales.

During the course, I take modules taught by legal practitioners and aimed at instilling a wealth of knowledge and practical skills which are crucial for an aspiring barrister. Whilst enrolled, I can develop legal advocacy skills through moots, mock trials, and other extra-curricular opportunities. I look forward to commencing the course in September and making the most of the opportunities that follow. The scholarship is hugely beneficial in making this career path affordable.

What other benefits are there of being involved?
On a personal note, being awarded a scholarship is a significant and meaningful achievement. It represents the Inn’s recognition of my potential. This provides a boost to morale and further motivation to work harder as I proceed with my legal training.

More broadly, there are various benefits offered to members of the Inn. The vast network of support includes, and is not limited to, careers advice from specialists, mentoring schemes, qualifying sessions, volunteering opportunities and advocacy training (through access to the Mooting, Debating and Drama societies).

Do you have any advice for anyone considering applying for Law and/or scholarships?
In relation to applying for scholarships, I would submit three main tips.

The first is to conduct research. Each Inn of Court offers its own bar course scholarship scheme. Each scholarship scheme has different application procedures and criteria worth comparing. Consider whether each respective application process requires you to complete an interview, to submit academic references or to undertake legal knowledge tests. These could offer means of standing out additional to a written application. Considering this, the criteria, your opinions of the Inns themselves, the application success rates and a personal assessment of your strengths and weaknesses, you can then make an informed decision as to which Inn’s scholarship scheme is worth applying for.

My second tip is to plan diligently. It is crucial to meticulously prepare the written application (and/or for the interview) well in advance. This involves constructing answers carefully, demonstrating conciseness, proof-reading repeatedly and tailoring answers precisely to the criteria considered by the judging panel.

My third and final tip would be to enjoy the application process and learn as much as possible from it, whatever the outcome. Don’t be afraid to show off your enthusiasm for law