Student success: Preparation, employability experience and networking on LinkedIn have helped Hena secure a Gray’s Inn Scholarship

Preparation, employability experience and a proactive approach to networking on LinkedIn have all played an important role in helping Kent law student Hena Pagoo secure a £5k Bar Course Scholarship from Gray’s Inn.

The William Shaw Scholarship from Gray’s Inn, one of four Inns of Court exclusively entitled to call members to the Bar of England and Wales as barrister, will help fund Hena’s training to become a barrister. And the next step in her training, once she graduates this summer, is the Barrister Training Course (BTC) at BPP London.

Reflecting on the experience of her online interview for the Gray’s Inn panel of three barristers, Hena said preparation was crucial: ‘I made contact with a number of barristers I had connections with to proofread my application. A number of these connections were made via my increased use of LinkedIn during the pandemic. The application process took time, which was reflected within my application.’

She also spoke with the Law School’s Employability and Placements Manager Jayne Instone about what could be expected of the scholarship interview: ‘I found it useful to collate all the potential questions the panel might ask and also kept up to date with the legal news generally, and the current issues facing the courts. Following this, I proceeded to doing mock interviews with friends to get some practice in.’

Hena was understandably nervous about her interview on Zoom but said she tried to let her personality shine through by being herself. She said: ‘They questioned me on which area of law I wanted to practice in as a barrister, what obstacles I had faced in my journey to the Bar, as well as what made me so sure I wanted to pursue a career as a barrister and not a solicitor. And I was given a choice between two topical questions, with my choice being ‘should the courts have remained open during lockdown?’

Hena had been inspired last year to set up an ‘Aspiring Barristers’ initiative on LinkedIn to help overcome the problem of networking during multiple lockdowns. Hena said: ‘The ‘Aspiring Barristers’ initiative featured in my scholarship application. It was important that I showcased how fantastic the initiative has been and it was useful for highlighting my continued efforts at gaining insight into the Bar during a pandemic. Whilst the opportunity to discuss this further did not arise during the interview, it was a significant element within my written application, which I believe really helped my application stand out.’

Other employability experiences that helped Hena stand out included her work as a Kent Law School Ambassador and her involvement with the University’s Employability Points (EP) Scheme. Hena said: ‘The skills I have obtained from supporting the Law School with Applicant Days and other events allowed me to develop skills that are pertinent to a career as a barrister, including public speaking. More generally, being involved with the EP Scheme gave me the opportunity to discuss with the panel my upcoming mini-pupillage with Stour Chambers in Kent.’

After her interview, Hena said she felt disappointed with how her interview had gone and was certain she wouldn’t be awarded a scholarship: ‘So to receive the email from Gray’s Inn to say I was successful was an indescribable feeling. It’s amazing to know I am supported by the Inn and that they saw value in my qualities.’

Hena has aspired to be a barrister since studying her A levels in Law, History and French: ‘I did a lot of debating and public speaking, judging advocacy to be suited to my skillset. I then took the necessary steps to begin pursuing a career as a barrister. The first step being to apply to Kent to study Law.’

Later this year, when Hena begins her BTC, she will also begin applying for Pupillage at Chambers: ‘I am generally interested in civil law given my mooting experience in this area. I will be studying civil procedure as part of the BTC, and hope to explore this further. Family law is also of interest to me owing to my work experience. Though, I am aware that studying these areas of law at theory level is different to practice. At this stage, I am keeping an open mind – as a number of barristers have told me to do.’

And finally, we asked Hena if she had any advice to share with fellow aspiring barristers – here are her top three tips:

• It’s never too late to begin investing in your future. I only became aware of mini-pupillages and other work experience towards the end of first year. Any experience is good experience!
  • Make relevant connections with barristers, and consider the pandemic as an opportunity, not an excuse. LinkedIn has worked wonders for me, with a great community supporting you in your career progression
  • Apply for a scholarship at your chosen Inn if you get the opportunity to do so. You might surprise yourself – I know I definitely did!’

Learn more about Hena’s student experience at Kent: