Reasons I chose to study at Kent – 1, 2, 3

We caught up with Baba Ige a 2nd year Law student to chat about his recent successes in playing polo and his time so far at Kent Law School

What attracted you to studying at Kent?
When I was researching universities to attend, there were three main factors that attracted me to studying at the University of Kent: the Kent Law School, the Polo Club, and the Nigerian community.

Firstly, the Kent Law School has an excellent reputation and is ranked among the top law schools in the UK. As someone who is passionate about studying law and pursuing a career in the field, this was a major draw for me. The law school offers a wide range of courses and opportunities for students to get involved in legal research, mooting competitions, and other activities. I was particularly impressed by the emphasis placed on practical skills development, which I believe is essential for preparing students for the workforce.

Secondly, the University of Kent Polo Club caught my attention because of my love for the sport. Playing polo for a few years now, I wanted to continue playing while at university. The club provides a great opportunity for me to connect with other polo enthusiasts, both experienced players and those new to the sport, and to develop my skills on the field. I have found the club to be a welcoming and supportive community, and I appreciate the opportunities it has provided me to socialise and network with fellow students. So much so I’m now the newly elected President of the Polo Club for the 23/24 session, I am thrilled to take on this role and see what the future holds for us.

Lastly, the strong Nigerian community at the University of Kent was also a factor in my decision to attend. As a Nigerian student, proud of my heritage, I wanted to attend a university that would provide a supportive and inclusive environment for me to connect with other Nigerian students and celebrate our culture and traditions. The University of Kent has a vibrant Nigerian community, with a Nigerian Society that hosts events throughout the year and provides a space for students to come together, share experiences, and support one another. I’m also going to be President of the society, I’m eager to dive in, make a meaningful impact, to celebrate and share our culture.

Would you recommend getting involved in student societies?
I would recommend getting involved in a society. It brings a sense of community and belonging, which can be especially important for students who are new to the university or who are feeling isolated. Being involved in a society allows you to connect with other students who share similar interests, passions, and goals, and it can also provide valuable opportunities for personal and professional growth.

In addition to the social and emotional benefits, getting involved in a society can also help students build their skills and develop their leadership abilities. As a society member, students can take on responsibilities, plan events, and collaborate with others, all of which can help them develop important transferable skills that can be applied in many different contexts.

Being involved in a society also allows students to pursue their interests outside of the classroom and to explore new areas of knowledge and expertise. For example, as a member of the University of Kent Nigerian and Polo Society, students can learn about Nigerian culture and history, as well as the sport of polo and its traditions.

I would highly recommend that other students get involved in a society. It is a great way to meet new people, learn new things, and develop personally and professionally. Plus, being part of a society can be a lot of fun!

Baba Ige on his polo horse

So, onto the academic side of university, how would you describe your lecturers? What do you think about the level of support in your studies?
I would describe my lecturers as incredibly passionate about teaching. They have a rare level of enthusiasm for their subjects that I have only encountered in a handful of educators throughout my academic journey. They are not only knowledgeable but also able to convey complex ideas in a way that is understandable to students.

Furthermore, the level of support I have received in my studies has been exceptional. My seminar leaders go above and beyond to ensure that we understand the material and are making progress in our studies. They are always available to answer questions, provide feedback, and give guidance on how to improve. I feel like I’m challenged to grow and develop, and I credit that to the level of support I have received from my lecturers and seminar leaders.

Have you used the University’s Careers and Employability Service?
Yes, I think I have overused this service. They probably know me by name and are wondering if I’m ever going to leave!

Have you used the Student Learning Advisory Service?
100%. Using the Student Learning Advisory Service has been a game-changer for me. I have found it to be an amazing resource for any student trying to gain skills in essay writing, studying, time-management, and anything in between.

As an international student, I found the service particularly helpful in improving my writing techniques and understanding the nuances of academic writing and referencing. SLAS has helped me to become a more confident and effective learner, and I feel much more equipped to handle the academic demands of university.

I highly recommend the Student Learning Advisory Service to any student, whether you’re struggling with your coursework or not. It’s a great way to get support and guidance to help you achieve your full potential at university.

Which modules have you enjoyed the most, and why?
Contract Law has been one of my favourite modules this year. I find the concepts and principles fascinating, and the lectures and seminars are engaging and interactive. The lecturers and seminar leaders have done an excellent job of breaking down complex legal principles and making them easy to understand. I have also enjoyed the group work and discussions that we have had in class. It has been an interesting and informative experience.

Apart from law, the Global Leadership Development course has been one of the most enjoyable modules I have taken. This course focuses on building global leaders and it has been interactive and hands-on. I have had the opportunity to work on group projects, develop my leadership skills, and learn about different cultures and ways of thinking. The course has challenged me to step out of my comfort zone and think outside the box, and I believe that the skills I have gained will be useful in my future career. Overall, I have enjoyed the course and found it to be a valuable learning experience.

What are the Kent Law School facilities like?
State of the art. Lecture theatres are equipped with the latest technology to make learning more interactive and engaging. The library is vast and well-stocked with books, journals, and other resources. The law library has dedicated areas for group work and silent study, which is especially useful for group projects and independent research. The computer labs are modern and equipped with the latest software to assist with course work. Overall, the facilities are impressive and are a testament to the university’s commitment to providing a conducive learning environment for its students.

What kind of career do you hope to follow when you leave, and why?
I am very interested in pursuing a career in commercial law after I graduate. I would love to work for a top law firm and gain experience in corporate law, mergers and acquisitions, and commercial litigation. I believe that working for a reputable law firm will provide me with the opportunity to work on high profile cases and to learn from some of the best lawyers in the industry.

In addition to my legal aspirations, I am also passionate about polo and hope to establish my own polo team in the future. I have been playing polo for several years now and I am confident that with dedication and hard work, my team will be able to compete in tournaments internationally. I believe that polo is not just a sport, but a way of life, and I hope to inspire others to take up the sport and experience the joy and camaraderie that comes with it.

I am excited about the opportunities that the future holds, and I am confident that with the skills and knowledge that I have acquired at Kent Law School, I will be able to achieve my goals and make a positive impact in my chosen fields.

Any advice to somebody thinking of coming to Kent?
If you’re thinking of coming to Kent, my advice would be to take advantage of all the opportunities available to you. Join clubs and societies that interest you, attend events, and make connections with people from all walks of life. This will help you to make the most of your time here and develop your personal and professional skills.

It’s also important to take care of your mental and physical health. University can be stressful, so make sure you find time to relax and unwind. Kent has a range of sports facilities and green spaces, so take advantage of these and stay active.

Lastly, don’t be afraid to seek help when you need it. Kent has a range of support services available to students, including academic support, mental health services, and career guidance. If you’re struggling with anything, reach out for help and support. Remember, you’re not alone in this journey.