Fulbright future ahead for Kent law student Amaka Agbandje-Boyce

A Fulbright future in the US awaits Kent Law LLB student Amaka Agbandje-Boyce who has secured a prestigious scholarship at one of America’s top-35 ranked law schools.

Amaka beat off fierce competition to win a Fulbright Postgraduate Student Award at Indiana University Maurer School of Law. The US-UK Fulbright Commission selected Amaka for the award after a rigorous application and interview process, assessing her academic excellence, cultural curiosity and leadership qualities. When selecting scholars, the Commission also looks for evidence of a range of extracurricular and community activities, demonstrated ambassadorial skills, a desire to further the Fulbright mission and a plan to give back to the UK upon returning.

Amaka said: ‘I think my involvement in many law-related extra-curricular activities really helped me in my application and interview. I drew upon my Kent Law Temple Society (KLTS) committee position and my involvement with Kent Law School’s mooting and mock trial programmes. In my first year, I secured an internship in Kent Union’s offices, which I also feel made my application a little bit more unique, as a lot of jobs with student unions are in retail and hospitality. I had such a different experience working at a desk and working on my own terms to a degree, which was great for demonstrating my independence and sense of professionalism. Being a law school rep for two years also showed by involvement in the campus community, which I think Fulbright looks for. They stress that academics only take a candidate so far, so I’d recommend anybody considering applying to really throw yourself into various activities during your time at Kent; you want to come across as an involved and invested, well-rounded student.’

Amaka’s award comprises a full tuition waiver and mandatory fee waiver, which includes health, sports and travel across the city of Bloomington and campus. As a Fulbright scholar, Amaka will also receive administrative support and a cultural education programme including visa support, a comprehensive pre-departure orientation, enrichment opportunities while abroad, a re-entry session and access to a global alumni network.

At Indiana Law, Amaka will be one of only 40-50 new “highly qualified” graduate students admitted to the LLM programme. And she’ll be studying on a campus ranked by Condé Nast Traveler as the third most beautiful college campus in the US. The programme includes a choice of six specialisations in business and commercial law, financial regulation, information privacy and cybersecurity, intellectual property, international law, or American law.

Having had doubts about the strength of her performance at the US-UK Fulbright Commission interview, Amaka said the news that she had been successful was very unexpected: ‘They had made it clear we’d hear at 4pm on 8 March. It was Friday morning on 5 March that I woke up and scrolled through my phone casually, checking my emails in the morning as I usually do, and it was just there. I remember thinking, “phew! The preview of the email doesn’t give anything away,” so I had a moment or two to compose myself before opening it properly.

‘When I did open it, it took me a moment to figure out what it said. It kept referring to me having been “nominated” for receiving the award, which made me think “wait, is there another round? Is there a final?” I had my dad read the email a few times, slowly reading out each word. But I think the “congratulations!” rid me of my doubt, and then the screaming commenced.’

From the moment she first applied back in August last year, Amaka knew her chances were slim: ‘I had an idea of the competition; rumours of numbers that float around online are in the thousands for about 20 awards in total. And I’ve heard of people reapplying year after year, so I was amazed when I heard I had been even longlisted for an interview, let alone shortlisted, then granted the award.’

Amaka’s success has given her a tremendous boost of confidence: ‘Receiving the scholarship has expelled my doubts in myself as an academic and as an aspiring lawyer too. Part of the process is having your application (which includes your academics, research and work experience and a personal statement and study plan) reviewed by experts in the field of study you wish to engage in. So, knowing somebody read about me in my application and gave a thumbs up really excites me for the future… people have recognised my potential despite there being times when I have not.’

After completing her LLM in American Law with Bar exam specialisation – and in order to comply with the spirit of the Fulbright Commission (and her J1 visa) – Amaka will return to the UK. She hopes to begin her studies on a Bar course, be called to the Bar and secure pupillage. After at least two years have elapsed, Amaka will have the option to return to America to sit the Bar exam and qualify to practice as an Attorney at Law in certain US states (including California and New York).

Amaka said: ‘The area of law I’d like to specialise in is still up in the air, but I have an affinity for Housing law, so I’m leaning towards that at the moment — I love my family law module too, so I’m keeping my options open.’ Compelled by her need to use her knowledge and experience to help others, she hopes to specialise in an area of law that features a very strong human and emotional element that will allow her to fulfil her role as a “legal linguist”.

Amaka runs a ‘Legal Diaries’ blog on Instagram (@AmakaWrites) and shares content about studying law on TikTok (AmakaWrites – where she’s amassed more than 30,000 followers!) She’s also an aspiring author. She said: ‘I have goals of becoming a traditionally published author with my current work in progress an urban-adventure YA novel. But over the Covid summer, it transformed into a legal blog or studygram, which I use to give my followers as much of a realistic window into my student life as possible. I share writing and research techniques and general student advice from kicking bad habits, acquiring good ones, speed-reading and reading critically, and writing first-class law essays.

‘I try not to shy away from the awkward or embarrassing things, I’ll let you know when I’m behind on something or have just had a cry session, but most importantly, I spill the beans! I hate the whole competitiveness that can come from studying for a law degree, and so I never feel any type of way when people ask me for help or advice or whatever it is they want to know. If I find something useful, I’ll share it; equally, I don’t feel awkward about asking other people for help or a link to a resource.’

Looking ahead five years, Amaka hopes to be qualified to practice in both the UK and the USA with book number two published and under her belt. And ten years down the line… ‘In ten years, I’ll be 31… scary. Hopefully, by then, I’ll be well-established in my field and awaiting the release of the Hollywood blockbuster version of my trilogy series.’

Want to know more about Amaka’s Fulbright Commission interview experience? Read on for all the insights:

‘Prior to the interview, I received word that I had been longlisted. At this stage, things were still very much up in the air, and I was told very clearly not to share with anyone as it could go either way (though I couldn’t help myself, I told a few people!). I didn’t have much hope and honestly thought this was the end of the road for me in this process — I was okay with this; it was an achievement in itself, passing the paper sift rounds.

‘A week later, I was informed that I had been shortlisted and would soon receive my interview date. The Fulbright Commission held an interview prep webinar, which was extremely helpful. I don’t think I would have anticipated how the interview would go had I not attended. The interview was my first panel interview, and so it was very different from what I’ve experienced before.

‘I had to prepare a three-minute oral presentation explaining the study and research I intended to carry out in the US, my interests in law and my journey to where I am now, the wider impact of my research and how I plan to use it upon my return to the UK. I was also told to prepare for eight unseen questions from the panel covering the different ethos, aims and values of the Fulbright programme, such as leadership, cultural curiosity and ambassadorial qualities.

‘For this, I did a bit of snooping around and reached out to one of this academic year’s Fulbright scholars, who I felt was in a similar position to me when she applied (in her final year of an undergraduate degree). She was really helpful and gave me advice and insight into the interview process that I would not have been able to figure out myself or find online. This is something I really recommend doing for anything you’re applying to, don’t be shy!

‘The interview itself, at the time I felt, went absolutely awful. It was in front of a panel of five, made up of representatives, Fulbright Commission staff, and a Fulbright Alumna. I had rehearsed my presentation over and over again… that went well! Some of the questions threw me off a little, especially the ones asked by the American representative. My mind drew a complete blank when I was asked, “What current issue in the UK that an American citizen wouldn’t know about would you explain? Explain it.” I panicked but was able to use my dissertation topic and discuss the housing crisis and generation rent. The American representative asked another tricky question which sealed it in my mind that I hadn’t gotten it. They asked, “Academics aside, what aspect of American culture would you like to experience during your time in the states and why?” REAL panic began to sink in then — I ended up talking about food!

‘Some other interview questions were:

• “Why have you applied for a Fulbright award? What would you do if you weren’t successful?”
  • “Tell us about a time you have shown leadership?”

The  US-UK Fulbright Commission works to advance knowledge, promote civic engagement and develop compassionate leaders through education exchange between the peoples of the US and the UK. It is the only academic awards programme that operates on both sides of the Atlantic, providing grants for postgraduate study, research and teaching.

Fulbright Postgraduate Scholarships: As part of the Fulbright Foreign Student programme, Fulbright Postgraduate Awards provide the only scholarships available for academic work in any graduate programme at any accredited US university. The Fulbright Foreign Student Program operates in more than 160 countries worldwide. Approximately 4,000 foreign students receive Fulbright scholarships each year.

Learn more about studying a Law LLB degree at Kent