Yoga vs trends

Kent Sport health and fitness instructor Sarah Black weighs trends in the fitness industry with the longevity of Yoga.

I have written many articles, however the following piece holds a lot of meaning to me. The passion I have for Yoga hopefully shines through in the following text. I studied Yoga in Nepal, Kathmandu under the direct guidance of the Yoga Master Sannyasi Vishnuswaroop. I lived, breathed and practised Yoga every day and learnt why it is more than an exercise. The reason I chose to study in Nepal, was to learn it from the roots in which it gave birth. These days the western world changes and modernises everything, adding in their opinions and personal touches in hope of gaining popularity. I wanted to learn Yoga for the reason it exists – Union. Yoga comes from the word “Yuj” deriving from the word meaning – to unite. It does not have to be a religion, or strict, do not fear you have to adhere to a new profession or obligation. Instead it is similar to the way diet becomes part of your daily regime, Yoga becomes a habit.

In the fitness industry I wish to express its importance. Every year we see new brands, exercises, marketing and advertising. Trends find their way onto the market and we continue to explore the popularity of them for a short period of time before switching to the next craze which follows. Bokwa, Cross Fit, Trampolining, Clubbercise, to name a few. It gives us a chance to try something different, in the hope that it will hold all the answers to our needs – making us fitter, stronger, leaner, better and wiser.

At this time I sit back and observe the rush. Watch the attempts and advise indiscreetly. Knowing that in order to have an opinion, you need to “try before you can deny.” The result at the end is inevitable and transparent, which is why they are knowns as trends and phases that do not last and are soon given up for the next swarm of ideas to be put into practise. I have found the answer and invite others to adopt it in ways they may see beneficial. That is why I will continue to stick with the belief I have in Yoga.

Yoga has been around for more than 5,000 years – and it will always be around. That is because it is not a trend or a consumer led brand. It is a lifestyle, a habit and a way of leading and adopting an attitude of living. Yoga has several branches that affect every aspect of the human being- mind, body and soul. It promotes wellbeing and emphasises the importance of balance. When one part of the body is out of sync, it affects the remaining pedestals, disrupting the flow and satisfaction of the person individually. Resulting in imperfections, mood fluctuations, confusion and sometimes injury. A whole body approach is achieved when you follow and commit to a Yoga programme.

The Principles of the programme
Asanas
– which are postures in Yoga that are known as exercises to build fitness, suppleness and strength, which in turn challenge the physical body.
Pranayama– is breath control, without breath we cannot live. Yoga teaches you the importance of unblocking the flow of breath creating nourishment to the body and developing awareness of the importance it has on the person.
Mudra – gestures allow us to handle and hold ourselves, capturing the mind and body together, and bringing equilibrium.
Bandhas – locks. These teach us to lock our energy and keep it within ourselves, avoiding loss of effort and hard work. Holding it in place where it is needed and utilised correctly.
Shatkarmas – cleansing processes. These detox the body and wash out toxins and unwanted debris in which we accumulate through time, daily environments and external factors, such as pollution, poor diet and stress.

Therefore Yoga doesn’t follow one motto, one opinion, one idea of a trend. It is a lifestyle to incorporate and adopt. I believe in Yoga for healthier living. Call me biased but in my opinion it is not fitness, it is health and the saying – your health is your wealth could not be truer.

Yoga is available to Kent Sport members – just visit the events calendar to review the fitness and dance class timetable. To find out more about membership benefits visit  the Kent Sport website.