Spotlight on Kent Sport staff: Ben Trott

Ben is the Assistant Director (operations) at the University of Kent since and has worked for Kent Sport for five years. Over the last year he has been heavily involved in progressing the development of the new facilities that are soon to be opened at Kent Sport.

Ben explains, “I have the privilege of working alongside some fantastic colleagues, who have an endless enthusiasm and energy for sport. My role involves me in all aspects of sport, from planning and delivery to spectating and participating at some of the best facilities here in Kent.”

Coming from a background of county cricket, Ben is taking on something different this year with seven events, both running and cycling, on behalf of Pilgrims Hospices, a charity supporting the terminally ill and their families in East Kent. Ben will be completing the events alongside his wife Ella.

Ben continues, “My aim is to raise funds as well as awareness for this amazing charity that needs to raise over £9 million every year. I will be completing my challenges in memory of my father in law and also my grandfather who was such an inspiration to so many, a true sportsman and always supportive of my sporting ambitions and achievements.”

His events are:

1) Folkestone 10 Mile Road Run – (Good Friday) – 29th March (completed in 1hr22mins)

2) Pilgrims Hospices (75 mile) Cycle Challenge – 5th May

3) Edinburgh Marathon – (26.2m) 26th May

4) Bedgebury 10k Trail Run – 8th June

5) Canterbury Half Marathon (a hilly 13miles) – 26th August

6) Tri-Hospice (75mile) Run and Cycle over 2 days – November

7) Great Stour Valley (10k) Run (in fancy dress) – 29th December

The most challenging of these events, the Edinburgh Marathon, is just a month away. Ben says “I have gained inspiration for my first marathon from the recent Virgin London Marathon where I supported my wife along with the other 700,000 or so spectators who lined the streets on a beautiful April morning. A truly inspirational experience!”

If you would like support Ben and the Pilgrims Hospices, you can do so by following this link: www.justgiving.com/Ben-Trott14.

If you are considering such a challenge, then Kent Sport can help you achieve your goals with excellent advice on exercise, nutrition and fitness programming; and provides a full range of enjoyable classes in two brand new studios that complements the new Fitness Suite. To celebrate the new facilities, Kent Sport is pleased to offer 50% off membership for the first 50 staff, the first 50 members of the public, and the first 50 students to join during the period 7 May – 31 May 2013. For terms and conditions and further membership details visit www.kent.ac.uk/sports/membership; and to keep up to date with the latest offers, information and photos, Like Kent Sport on Facebook at www.facebook.com/unikentsports.