A message from a former Fresher: ‘It was scary – the start of my independence’

As academic year 23/24 unfolds, a KBS second year looks back on starting university life.

Joy Nyarko is a second-year student at University of Kent on the Canterbury Campus. She is studying BSc Accounting, Finance and Economics.

‘My first week at Kent was the starting of a new chapter. Moving away from home and having to adjust to everything on your own. It was scary – the start of my independence.

I can remember waving goodbye to my family from my student accommodation and the reality setting in. From that point, I was actually on my own!

What really helped me in the early days, was seeking out a few of my friends from either sixth form or secondary school that also went to the University of Kent. It gave me that sense of home in my new surroundings.

I am fortunate that I didn’t live so far from Canterbury, in London and it helped me to nip home every month or so until I settled in.  I still found myself calling my parents and friends from home really regularly, and that was a real comfort to me.

I also joined a faith group called First Love and kept my home church commitments online, which gave me strength.

Looking back there were so many little glimmers in those early days that would stay with me forever – like meeting my flatmates for the first time in Tyler Court, sitting having picnics after church on a Sunday at the top of the hill overlooking the cathedral close to the library.

I might have been a bit nervous – but that was natural. Those memories are etched in my mind and before long, those new acquaintances had become close friends.

I also believe planning for my career gave me the right attitude and helped me to strive forward when things got overwhelming. I was proactive getting involved in organisations like SEO London: a UK-registered charity that aims to support and mentor underrepresented groups. I became their Campus Ambassador and have undertaken many exciting work placements during my first year.’

Joy’s top tips for First Year students:

1. Don’t make the mistake of thinking the first year doesn’t matter academically. For a start, you have to pass to make it on to second year. It’s not always easy, I had to repeat a module but I learned from it.
  2. Try and make use of staff office hours or the fact that the our lecturers are willing to help us outside of working hours. Ask for meetings, get a bit of insight and information on your course or settle any worries you might have. The staff at Kent are supportive and approachable!
  3. Think about your future career NOW. Join a social mobility network so that that can help them as well. Take advantage of Kent’s fantastic Employability Teams, too.
  4. Join a society. Mine was faith-based, yours could be sports – it broadens your horizons, you learn things and make friends!

Whether you’re at Canterbury, Medway or Paris, this guide will help you prepare for life at the University: how to get to your campus, the help and support that’s available and how to have some fun!