PhD student: ‘I have the chance to pursue my interest in FinTech’

Navid Parvini is currently undertaking a PhD at Kent Business School. He did his master’s in Finance at the University of Tabriz in Iran and has a particular interest in FinTech.

What was your dream job as a child, and what is your dream job now?

I cannot vividly remember my childhood dream job, but I think I wanted to be a cop! However, as I grew up, I realised that I like analysis and numbers. So, be it an academic research job or an industrial career, analysis and quantitative methods should be the main part of my job. It seems that any job in the field of FinTech is a very good fit.

Why did you choose the Kent Business School?

First, here at KBS, I have the chance to pursue my interest in FinTech. So, it is in line with my passion. Second, I was familiar with the supervisor’s research interests, and I found it aligned with my field of study. Finally, I liked the campus and the city.

What are some of your favourite memories, achievements and experiences?

My favourite memories go back to when my first research paper was published. It was my best achievement after all those years that I had spent on learning quantitative methods.

What have you been up to since graduating from your master’s?

Mostly researching. In addition, I have a one-year work experience as the financial manager of a small local business.

What does your role involve? What do you like about it the most, and what are the most challenging aspects?

My role as a GTA involves both teaching and research. It is a very good opportunity to get to know interaction between a lecturer and the students in a new country with a new education system and culture. This is both what I like the most and the most challenging part of my current role.

How do you apply the knowledge and skills you gained during your studies in your job, and what career advice would you give students and alumni?

What I studied during my master’s is perfectly in line with what I am teaching now. So, I just need to convey what I have learned before in the best way I can. I suggest master’s students learn as many methods and techniques as they can. Then, there will be many opportunities waiting for them.

What are your future plans / aspirations?

After my PhD, I am going to seek an academic job. Then, after consolidating my knowledge in the field and publishing some high-quality papers in my field, I will try to get in touch with industry organisations trying to solve real-world problems as part of my academic research.

Navid is a current PhD student at Kent Business School, specialising in the area of FinTech. Find out about our new MSc FinTech degree.