KBS graduate Katarina on working as a data analyst for Ministry of Finance, Slovak Republic

Katarina Cardasova completed an MSc Business Analytics, graduating in 2021. Today, she is a data analyst for the Ministry of Finance of the Slovak Republic. She tells us more about what this entails, her time at Kent Business School, and how her studies help her in her role.

What was your dream job as a child, and what is your dream job now?

Since I was 10, I have wanted to become a lawyer. But then history classes happened, and I realised that I preferred mathematics to civics. So, my new dream is to be a data analyst.

Why did you choose the Kent Business School?

I researched different programmes across my preferred universities, and Business Analytics at Kent Business School was the best option for me. In addition, I knew a few Kent University alumni who all recommended KBS. It was an easy choice then.

What are some of your favourite memories, achievements and experiences?

The first thing that comes to my mind is an in-company project with Macknade. Without exaggeration, it was a life-changing opportunity, and I strongly recommend that all students consider this option for their dissertations.

What have you been up to since graduating?

For the last year and a half, I have been working as a data analyst for the Ministry of Finance of the Slovak Republic. I evaluate IT projects funded by the government. Also, I try to measure the impact of our department on the overall savings generated during procurement.

What does your role involve? What do you like about it the most, and what are the most challenging aspects?

The most challenging aspect of my work is that some of my reports are shared online, so I always have to keep in mind that the general public that may read them and then comment on them. Fortunately, my reports have not been controversial so far, but, in some cases, they can get heated on social media platforms. Overall, my work has some impact on people’s lives.

How do you apply the knowledge and skills you gained during your studies in your job, and what career advice would you give students and fellow alumni?

I would encourage the students to make the most of the university’s services. Whether it is career advice, different workshops, or free professional resources, please do not take them for granted. When it comes to the soft skills I learnt and apply every day, these would be teamwork, resilience and time management. In addition, I find beneficial skills I gained in Excel (VBA), R, Python and data visualisation tools.

What are your future plans / aspirations?

My short-term plans include getting hands-on experience in visualisation, which I enjoyed the most during my studies.

What advice would you give to current students doing your course?

Take any opportunity that you are given. You never know who you will meet and where you may end up.

Katarina studied MSc Business Analytics at at Kent Business School. Find out more about the course, here.