‘I remember coming to the open day in Medway and I fell in love with campus’

Shoumilli Roy studied Business and Management with a Year in Industry, graduating in 2022.

What was your dream job as a child, and what is your dream job now?

I wanted to become an actress or professional dancer, but due to my family background I became invested into understanding business and how to deal with finances. My parents run three Indian restaurants and they taught me a lot about management. So when I came to university, I wanted to learn more about business.

Now my career pathway has slightly changed, I am more interested in the financial side of business. I am training to become a Financial Adviser, so that one day I can help business owners and other clients with smart ways of handling their money, using savings or bonds, depending on what is happening economically in the world. Making sure they know which market is ‘safe’ to invest in.

Why did you choose the Kent Business School?

In 2018, when I applied, Kent was known to be in the top 20 Business Schools with a gold award for teaching. I remember coming to the open day in Medway and I fell in love with campus, it was quiet but I loved all the support lecturers had to offer. They explained on the open day that we would have facilities where we could go and study and have a personal mentor from the year above. The campus had a beautiful library – it is known to be the longest library – which really impressed me with the space that it had available to us as students. The most convenient part was that the accommodation was very close to shops and entertainment for the weekends.

What are some of your favourite memories, achievements and experiences?

I really enjoyed becoming a Student Ambassador and working for KBS; I built many strong relationships through my work platform. One of my favourite memories is getting awarded the Director of Studies Prize: for making an outstanding contribution in Business and Management by Professor Marian Garcia at my graduation. I was so delighted to walk down the aisle at the graduation ceremony, knowing all my hard work paid off and I had achieved my first-class degree.

Most of all, making the best friends at Medway and having all their support through hard seminars and getting all our coursework done throughout the Covid-19 period. Working online was an experience which was difficult, but I will never forget the help and one-to-one sessions I got from lecturers.

Finally, being part of Kent Business Society and holding big events, such as the ‘Valentines: Traffic Light Party’. Becoming Vice-President of the Business Society came with a lot of responsibilities but I was happy that I was giving a good opportunity to students to be part of a really fun, active and helpful society.

What have you been up to since graduating?

After graduating, I went to many interviews around the UK seeking a job that had good training facilities. I finally found Bellamy Wealth Management. They offered to train me to become a Financial Adviser and take the CII course, which allows me to become a Certified Financial Planner while I work for them. This sounded like a good option for my own development. Now I work full-time and help my parents at the restaurant on the weekends, if needed, and, if I have any exams to schedule by CII, I focus on my exams by learning new exam content at the weekends.

What does your role involve? What do you like about it the most, and what are the most challenging aspects?

My role involves a lot of organisation, which is what I love about it – I like working with a clear plan. My main focus is getting all appointments sorted for the most experienced adviser in the firm. I book all his appointments by checking his client database to see who he needs to review, or if a client reaches out I will organise the meeting. After the meeting is held, I update any changes that has happened for the client financially, and write a letter to the client explaining what has changed and what their next steps are if they need to provide us with more information. I also make files for their new financial documents to go into, so that we always have a record of what’s going on.

My job is quite diverse as it’s client-based, so I am always talking to different people. And I collate ideas on how to attract more clients to the business by organising client events, so people can find out more and understand how financial advisers can help you find the best place to invest your money.

How do you apply the knowledge and skills you gained during your studies in your job, and what career advice would you give students and fellow alumni?

At university, I learned so much about market segmentation. Now I can see why it’s so important as all businesses have a slightly different demographic.

What are your future plans / aspirations?

My main future aspiration now is to become a Financial Planner and help as many clients as possible. Then after I build a good client base, I will look to become a Chartered Financial Planner. This process may take four to six years.

What advice would you give to current students doing your course?

I would say pick the modules that you will find enjoyable, not the ones that you think might like. It’s easier to learn something that you have an interest in. And if you are stuck, don’t be shy to ask for help. Time will fly by and you need that time to get all the work and coursework to be spot on. If you want a mentor to guide you, it’s best to reach out to your Student Support team and they can help arrange this for you.

One response to “‘I remember coming to the open day in Medway and I fell in love with campus’