‘I gained a rich knowledge and improved my leadership skills’

Yesong studied MSc International Business and Management and now has a high flying career at HSBC

Yesong Liao studied MSc International Business and Management, graduating in 2018. He is now pursuing a career in banking, currently working as a private wealth planner.

What was your dream job as a child, and what is your dream job now?

My dream when I was a child was to become a chef, and now my dream is to become a fund manager.

Why did you choose the Kent Business School?

I got three offers at that time, but the reason I chose Kent was that I found Kent’s learning atmosphere particularly good. I also liked the fact that the School is located in the cathedral town of Canterbury with its long history, and the course is highly ranked in the UK.

What are some of your favourite memories, achievements and experiences?

The most impressive experience for me was the regular preparation of group speeches and personal presentations between groups. That was one of the best bits for me, plus I accumulated a rich knowledge and improved my leadership skills.

What have you been up to since graduating?

After graduation, I worked as a fund researcher. Then two years later, I started working for HSBC as a private wealth planner.

What does your role involve? What do you like about it the most, and what are the most challenging aspects?

My role is to provide value to the customers by designing diversified asset plans for them. I really love this job as each client’s situation is different. The most challenging thing is focusing on different family asset planning solutions in order to increase each client’s passive income.

How do you apply the knowledge and skills you gained during your studies in your job, and what career advice would you give students and fellow alumni?

I learned some relevant financial analysis skills and communication skills in Kent Business School that can be applied to my work. I combine that with reading more books on investment and business management for continued development. The combination of the two is of great significance for our future work and growth.

What are your future plans / aspirations?

I am working towards the direction of becoming a fund manager in the future and will continue to research how to become an outstanding one.

What advice would you give to current students doing your course?

To maintain a love of the course, increase your reading in your extra-curricular time, determine what kind of person you need to become in the future and to work towards your goals.

Yesong studied MSc International Business and Management at Kent Business School.