KBS Alumna: ‘At Kent Business School, I gained priceless experience’

MSc Marketing graduate reflects on her course, university life and her exciting career

Phyu Hnin Khine (also known as Snow) completed her MSc Marketing in 2022; she is now a Marketing and Communication Executive at Manning Impex Ltd.

What was your dream job as a child, and what is your dream job now?

Even as a child, I had dreams of bringing a successful product to market based on people’s requirements. As I grew older, my dream became more concrete. I wanted to work in the marketing industry and understand the different markets and products – and that came to fruition when I landed a job as a marketing executive in an Asian food import company.

It has allowed me to bring many brands into the UK market by creating successful marketing campaigns. I am so proud of what I have accomplished and the success that I have had in the industry.

Why did you choose the Kent Business School?

I decided to enrol in Kent Business School after a lot of research and careful consideration. The School’s good reputation and great track record of producing successful business professionals were the first things that attracted me. Besides this, the course is recognised by the Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM). The curriculum is designed to give students practical experience and the opportunity to apply their knowledge in real-world situations. For me, this was very important since I wanted to gain the necessary skills and knowledge to excel in the business world.

What are some of your favourite memories, achievements and experiences?

My postgraduate marketing student journey began with market research. I remember sitting in class, eagerly taking notes and absorbing the information around me. I was fascinated by the idea of understanding how research data is important to build effective marketing strategies. As I continued to progress in my studies, I began to focus more on the creative and strategic aspect of marketing campaigns. My professors were impressed by my creativity and enthusiasm for the subject.

As part of my group assignment, I also had the chance to work on the ALEXANDER Centre rebranding campaign. I gained priceless experience working in the real-world of marketing. I had accomplished a lot by the time I finished my postgraduate studies and I’m putting what I’ve learnt into practice at work.

What have you been up to since graduating?

After graduating, I took some time off to travel and explore the world. When I returned home, I got a job as a full-time Marketing and Communication Executive for ASIAN FMCG import company. They liked my credentials.

What does your role involve? What do you like about it the most, and what are the most challenging aspects?

My role involves developing marketing plans and strategies for brands, as well as managing their social media and website presence. My first challenge was to develop a comprehensive content and social media strategy to increase brand awareness, engagement, and sales.

I also had to develop creative and engaging content for different platforms, including blogs, videos, and infographics.

I had to be creative and think of effective ways to promote our ASEAN brands in the UK market. I also had to identify new opportunities and partnerships that could help us reach our business remit and goals.

Overall, I have learned the importance of collaboration and teamwork to achieve success. My experience has been both challenging and rewarding, and I am thankful to be part of a great team.

How do you apply the knowledge and skills you gained during your studies in your job?

I have been able to apply the knowledge and skills I had gained during my time in the programme to the job. For example, my thorough knowledge of marketing fundamentals, which include consumer behaviour, market research, and effective communication. My experience in the marketing field has enabled me to gain invaluable insights into the industry.

What are your future plans / aspirations?

My future plans and aspirations include continuing to grow my knowledge and skills in marketing, such as learning more about digital marketing and analytics. Additionally, I hope to expand my career by taking on more leadership roles in marketing and exploring new areas of marketing, such as social media marketing.

I am passionate about staying on top of the ever-changing marketing landscape and using that knowledge to help businesses create successful marketing campaigns. Finally, I am driven to help businesses build strong relationships with customers and achieve marketing goals.

What advice would you give to current students doing your course?

To get as much practical, hands-on experience as possible. Make sure to keep a planner or calendar and set aside a certain amount of time each day to work on coursework.

Take on internships and volunteer opportunities that allow you to apply your theoretical knowledge and develop your skills. Additionally, use every opportunity to network with professionals in the industry.

This will help you to gain insight into the evolving trends and make connections that will benefit you in the long run. Stay on top of industry news and new technologies, so that you can stay ahead of the competition. Finally, don’t be afraid to ask questions and take initiative to find the answers to your questions.

Snow studied MSc Marketing at Kent Business School. Find out more about the course, here.